Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Meet Angela Hayes


Today My Writing Corner welcomes author Angela Hayes, author of the new fantasy novel, Love's Battle. Thanks for joining us, Angela. We’d like to know about your writing journey. What made you want to be a writer?
All my life I’ve loved to read. Book were a wonderful vacation from life. I’ve always kept journals and wrote short stories and poems, but it wasn’t until much later when I was a stay at home mom that the idea of becoming a writer as a career became something I wanted to achieve.
How did you get started on the road to publication? My road to publication began with the printing of a poem titled, Moving, in a local Maryland paper (where I lived at the time). I think I was in Kindergarten.

Your newest book, Love’s Battle, is in the fantasy genre.  Why did you chose to write fantasy?
I adore fantasy, letting your mind drift to the point where you’re not really sure where the reality ends and the fantasy begins. I think there is a part in all of us that wants to be above who and what we are and fantasy allows us to explore that.
What gave you the idea for this story in particular?
I don’t know that it was one particular idea that began Love’s Battle as much as it was a barrage of different things. But underneath it all, I think it was the concept of finding that one person you’re supposed to spend your whole life with and what kind of problems would be at hand once you did. Would you accept it without question, or would you fight it with everything you had?
Tell us a little about your main characters.
Love Howard is the youngest of three triplets (her sisters are Faith and Hope) who are magically conceived, thanks to a promise made by parents when they couldn’t be together due to a difference in ranks, and are gifted with the ability to see true love as well as reincarnation.

Danton DeAngelo, Love’s “soul mate” of this life is such a down to earth fellow that he really tempers Love’s outgoing personality and in return, she fills an emptiness that he’s had in his life for so long.

What do you like best about your characters?
What a great question, what do I like best about Love. Aside from her great fashion sense and shoe collection, Love is just a warm and welcoming person. She’s seen so much in her ten previous lives that you would think she would be jaded, but she’s got such a bright core it never fails to shine on those around her. And I love that she excels at matching lovers. She takes such pride in bring to hearts together that she doesn’t let anything stand in her way.
Love’s Battle is part of a trilogy.  What are the next two books about?  
Tentatively titled, Faith’s Forever and Hope’s Wish, the True Blue trilogy will focus on Love’s sisters and how they each of them find their love of this life and the problems they go through trying to make a their connections.
Are you working in any genre other than fantasy for the future?
I have so many stories floating around in my head and not near enough in print, but I’m working on a new paranormal series and have several ideas for something in the mystery category.

What would you tell beginning writers who want to write fantasy?
I’m so glad you asked this question. When I was researching publishers, before I came across The Wild Rose Press, there was one publisher that said something along the lines of how when you write fantasy, you need to write it so that it is so deeply embedded in your story that if you were take the fantasy out of it, it would fall completely apart. The idea is that if you’ve written a fantasy and you can take the magic away from it, then it isn’t really fantasy after all. And this is what I try to do every time I sit down to write.
How can readers reach you or find you online?
They can find me at www.authorangelahayes.blogspot.com. Thank you for having me Rebecca, you asked some great questions, I had a blast.

And thank you, Angela, for being my guest today. Here's a blurb for Love's Battle, available now at Amazon.com, and here is the buy link.
Love Howard has more than a knack for matchmaking. Born from a forbidden passion and a twelve-hundred-year-old promise, she and her sisters can literally see true love. And while Love has no problem bringing other couples together, her own romantic life could use a little help.\
Danton DeAngelo has always been well grounded in reality. So it throws him for no small loop when the woman he’s fallen for believes that she’s been reincarnated eleven times and can actually see true love.

Now Danton is faced with the biggest decision of his life. Accept Love for who she really is, or walk away from her forever.

It sounds like an intriguing story. Good luck with your new book, Angela, and the series. Any questions or comments for Angela? 



 

 

2 comments:

  1. Great interview ladies! I love the advice about writing fantasy. I totally agree! :-)

    ReplyDelete

The Joy of the Writing LIfe

One of the fun parts of being a writer has been the many wonderful authors I've been privileged to meet in my writing journey. Today'...