Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Paranormal Summer Reading

This week in My Writing Corner we are continuing our Summer reading with a romantic story about ghostly happenings. The book is Restless Spirit, just released by The Wild Rose Press, and the author is  M. Kate Quinn. It's the second book she has set in Ronan Harbor, New Jersey, and it sounds like delightful summer reading.
 
Did you always want to be a writer?
 It began when I was in the second grade.  My teacher, Mrs. Sprowl, had written a partial sentence on the blackboard and then asked us to finish it then write a story using that as the first sentence.  I will never forget that feeling of suddenly having a magic wand in my hand, which was actually a pencil.  Later, when Mrs. Sprowl was reading through the stories, she called me up to her desk and told me I was going to be a writer some day. 

How did you get started in publishing?
I took an early retirement from academia and decided then that it was my time to really give a writing career a try.  So, I joined New Jersey Romance Writers (sat in the back at my first meeting with who-am-I-kidding chanting in my head) and took copious notes, talked with people in the know, and went to every conference.  At my first conference I took a leap of faith and grabbed a pitch session that had been cancelled by someone else.  I met an editor from The Wild Rose Press and she liked my story idea and asked for a partial submission.  That was my first sale.  I’ve just released my fifth.


Tell us about your latest book, Restless Spirit, and where you got the idea for it. 
Restless Spirit is a story of a young woman who came back to her home town in Ronan’s Harbor, New Jersey, to nurse her dying mother.  Now at the one-year anniversary of her mom’s passing strange things are happening in the house.  Antiques crash to the floor, sounds in the night, strange smells wafting through the rooms…..She’s got a ghost!  The K-9 officer that she’s been interviewing for her local TV program gets wrapped up in the ghostly mayhem and, although the two are dead set against getting involved in romance, somehow even a firm resolve is no match for a restless spirit.

What do you like best about your heroine and hero? 
What I like best about the two of them is that they each grapple with a fear that has held them hostage from realizing a dream and through trial and tribulation they each overcome their fears.

What are you working on now?
 Currently I am working on the third and final book in the Ronan’s Harbor Series.  It is in a nebulous stage but I can say that it involves a reluctant bridal shop owner and the father of a bridezilla. 

That sounds like another wonderful story. Let's get a look at Restless Spirit along with an excerpt:
 
Strange things are happening at Aubrey Donner's cottage in Ronan's Harbor, NJ. Noises in the night, crashing antiques and an eerie presence all add up to only one thing: her cottage is haunted.

Her new job hosting a pet-related program on local television finds her battling to hide her lifelong fear of dogs from local no-nonsense K-9 officer Asa Kavanaugh and his four-footed, pony-sized partner, Scout. Aubrey can't wait to be done with the duo until she realizes she can use Asa and Scout's help to wrangle her phantom. While chasing shadows, yearnings of two wounded hearts collide, banishing old fears and unveiling the possibility that true love may really exist after all.

  When I initially asked you to bring a memento to the séance I didn’t realize we would be sitting
amongst so many. It’s fine. Please, have a seat.”
     A triple-wick candle with its zealous flames had been placed in the center of the table. It cast a dancing glow over the purple covering Joanie had found downtown at Franklin’s today.
     “At this time we will place our hands on the table and stretch our fingers out wide.” Ira’s tone was
authoritative. His words’ substantive quality only served to rattle Aubrey more. Her knees shook under the table.
     “Touch your pinky fingers to the person’s beside you,” Ira continued. “We are making an unbroken ring. We do this to protect against negativity.”
     Aubrey placed her hands on the table, watching out the corner of her eye at Asa beside her. His big masculine hands were outstretched. His right pinky sought and found her left. A kind of vibration extended from their connected digits, and she was tempted to pul laway. She knew better than to meet his gaze she felt onher, wooing her to turn her head.
     On her other side, Joanie also placed her hands into position and pressed the tip of her smallest finger against Aubrey’s right one. One by one, they all formed an unbroken ring of their hands.
     “Let us begin,” Ira said, the cadence of his voice clergy-like. “We close our eyes and still our minds.”
      Aubrey squeezed her eyes shut, trying to keep her thoughts still as Ira had asked. But there was a big man, with a teasing dimple, sitting beside her, his electric finger pressing onto hers. She shook her head and tried to dismiss the sensation that quivered through her veins.
 
Okay, I'm hooked! That is going on my list of summer reading books.  Here are the details for reaching M. Kate Quinn and for buying her new book.
 
Facebook:  Fans of M. Kate Quinn
Twitter:  @mkatequinn
 
Now Available at
 
 
Thank you, Mary Kate,  for being my guest and good luck with your new book.  Any questions or comments?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Fun with Characters

One of the first questions many people ask when they learn someone is a writer is "How did you become an author?" or "Did you...