Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Positive and Negative Words for Summer Romance Readers

This week we continue our fun summer reading series with a look at the books of Linda Joyce. Linda joins us today with a special blog on reading.

Take it away, Linda!

What are your words for summer romance?

I’m working on a manuscript, Bayou Brides, book four of the Fleur de Lis series. I’m putting down all kinds of words, going with the flow, and loving the energy of the mood.

Writing, unlike other forms of art, must first be captured on paper/computer screen, a writer’s raw material, before it can be polished into a gem of a book. I’m mentally and emotionally hanging out in the near past in Mississippi immediately following Hurricane Katrina—I’m engrossed. My fingers flyacross the keys far faster than when I played piano.
Then my cell phone dings.
The real world comes into focus.
Dictionary.com posts the word for the day—Incondite.

Darn! My concentration is now broken, so I flip over to the Dictionary site on my laptop for a short, yet educational break. After all, who would know? I’m sitting in my writing cavealone except for the snores from three canines. I can take a few minutes to engage in a worthwhile word game to improve my writing. (That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it.)
Once at the website, the game appears like a pop quiz. The current challenge: Positive and negativewords for summer romance. Intriguing.

(By the time you read this post, the link should still work, but the game may be different. I urge you to give it a go. I dare you.)
Hmmm….This vocab game will be a slam-dunk! Of course, I know ALL the vocabulary words for romance. What better way to take a break than to boost my writing confidence with a 100% correct score?

And so I begin. There are four possible choices for each vocabulary word. The best thing about the quiz is that it provides IMMEDIATE feedback. A bright green star and checkmark appear at the top of the page and highlight the correct answer. But then, RED! I missed one! Cosset. *Sigh* I never recall cosset used in any romance novel I’ve read. So now the challenge is to finda novel containing the usage.
One of the dogs bumps my arm. I remember—I’m supposed to be writing! I’d better get back to that.

In case you’re in need of a distraction, let Bayou Beckons, my new release be the ding that takes you away. Happy Reading!
Party-girl and bayou babe Camilla Lind treats life like a game. After sleeping with her sister’s fiancé, she’s struggling to change, but karmic payback is a bitch. When the actions of her past crash into the present, they stand to ruin her future...and destroy any chance of love with the only man she’s ever wanted.
Rancher Jared Richardson guards his heart carefully after suffering the pain of infidelity. He never expected to fall for a woman like Camilla Lind, nor did he think he’d follow her across the country to beg for a second chance at love.

As Hurricane Katrina bears down on them, can they weather the storm and put aside past hurts to embrace their future together?

Bayou Beckons, book three of the Fleur de Lis series is now available at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Linda-Joyce/e/B00BODDROS/

Bayou Bound, book two of the series is a 2015 RONE Award Finalist. (Winners to be announced at InD’tale magazine in September.) It also won 1st Place in Romance from the Southeastern Writers Association.
Bayou Born, book one, is a 2014 RONE Finalist.
PS- The vocabulary in the game is not just for romance readers. These words appear in many genres. After you take the quiz, please let me know what you think.

Thanks, Linda!  You may get me hooked on that game. Here's how to reach Linda. Any questions or comments?

Website: Linda-Joyce

Facebook Author Page: LindaJoyceAuthor

Twitter: @LJWriter 



No comments:

Post a Comment

A World Traveler's Debut

The best thing about publishing a weekly authors' blog is getting to meet so many different, talented writers and to learn about them an...