Wednesday, February 10, 2016

A Supernatural Romance

As we count down to Valentine's Day by reading wonderful romances, we're turning to the darker side of the genre with a ghostly tale. Visiting My Writing Corner today is Chrys Fey, a Florida writer who specializes in romantic suspense. How did you get started in publishing?

I started small with publishing a couple of poems and short stories online. It really wasn’t my publishing dream, and I wasn’t having any luck getting an agent, so I wrote Hurricane Crimes, a romantic-suspense story set in Florida. I knew I had to break into publishing somehow and decided Hurricane Crimes could be my ticket in. I sent it off to The Wild Rose Press and have been publishing with them for four years now.

Did you always want to be a writer?
Yes! I wrote my first story at the age of five. My mom was always writing children stories for me and my siblings. She was my inspiration to pick up a pen.

Your latest story is Witch of Death, a fantasy suspense short story. What do you like best about your heroine and hero?
I love that Reid is a cynic and that Libby sort of pushes his buttons. They clash in wonderful ways, making them a very fun duo to write about. I’ll show you what I mean:

Let's get a blurb.

Detective Reid Sanders doesn’t believe in the supernatural, but when he’s faced with a crime scene that defies the laws of nature, he has no other choice but to start believing. And solving a magical murder involves working with a witch.

Liberty Sawyer embodies the look of your classic evil witch, so, it’s no surprise when she uncovers the murderer is a witch that she becomes Reid’s number one suspect. If she can’t convince him otherwise, more people could lose their lives to dark magic, including her.

What is your writing process? Are you one of those people who outlined or do you just start writing?
I have to outline. If I didn’t, my stories wouldn’t make one bit of sense. Sometimes I do start writing a story with just the idea for the beginning and end. I prefer knowing how I’m going to get from point A to point B, though. In my outlines, I even include whole conversations!

Do you have any advice for a beginning writer?
I always say to never give up, no matter how hard it becomes. My other piece of advice, find a good beta reader! Beta readers are critical to help you spot plot holes and character problems in your story.

What are you working on now?
I am close, so close to publishing the sequel to Hurricane Crimes, which I mentioned above. This will be my first full-length novel. Soon I’ll be editing book 3...and at the same time starting book 4!

Good luck, Chrys, and how may readers get in touch with you?


And here are the links for her new short story.

Amazon US / Amazon UK / The Wild Rose Press / NOOK / KOBO

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for posting! Witch of Death is a different story for the Valentine's Day count down. Who doesn't love witches and detectives? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Fighting the Mid-Story Blahs

It happens to all fictional writers. Sooner or later we hit the wall with our current story and we suffer through that old, well-known, fear...