Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Romancing the West

As we move toward the gift-giving season, time gets shorter for reading but longer for looking for gifts. For me, the idea of giving good books to friends and family can pay off in more ways than one. It gives me an opportunity to shop for myself... in addition to shopping for others.  That means I get to visit all my favorite book stores and look around for any new ones that might have opened in the last year and visit all my old familiar favorites... just in case.

But best of all, the search the search not only means finding new the latest books by my favorite authors, but discovering new authors as well.  My guest today in My Writing Corner is Canadian author, Cat Dubie, author of a new Historical Western just published this month by The Wild Rose Press. Being a fan of romance and Western history, this one goes immediately on my "to be read" list. The title is The Queen of Paradise Valley, and it sounds like a story I want to curl up with on a snowy day.

Diana Rennie, daughter of a wealthy rancher, attempts to persuade mystery man Del Russell to leave his grievances behind and forgive her father for past mistakes. Her careful plan goes awry and results in a shotgun wedding and a prison sentence for Del.


Four years later, Del is back in her life with a vengeance—back for his rightful share of Diana's ranch, back to prove he isn't the criminal she thought he was, back to finish what the two of them started years ago in a passionate daze. And he isn’t going anywhere, no matter what beautiful, treacherous Diana does or says to try to get rid of him. 

Want to know more?  I certainly do.  Let's get an excerpt:

     She released a small sigh. 

     "What were you just thinking?" He stood behind her. 

     She felt his heat and turned, rubbed her cheeks, then her arms. "The cows out there. I imagine they're dead, each and every one. And it's all your fault." 

     "Everything's my fault. Can't you think of something new?" 

     "There is nothing new. How can there be when the entire world outside has ceased to exist?" She swept a hand across her brow. "I'm going to my room." 

     He scratched his jaw. “Shutting yourself in your  room will only make your cabin fever worse. Don’t you  get bored?”

      Damn, how bored she was! “No. Never.”

     “Feel like a diversion? A game. Chess, poker—”

     “Real poker? For real stakes?” She studied his face. And then wished she hadn’t, for his eyes had a smoky  quality that gave her goose bumps.

     A familiar half smile. “I never play pretend at  anything.” 


If you would like even more, here are the buy links:

Indigo   

If you would like to contact the author, here is how you can reach Cat:

twitter:  @CatDubie        https://twitter.com/catdubie

Thank you, Cat, for being my guest today.  Any comments or questions for Cat?





7 comments:

  1. Thanks, Rebecca, for the book spotlight for The Queen of Paradise Valley.

    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new book sounds like a great read. Love the cover. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good read. Great cover. Wishing you lots of sales and luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to this one. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your title and your cover. And Del may be stubborn, but I'll bet he's met his match.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the excerpt, Cat! Wanted to read more! :) Wishing you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for stopping by and leaving comments C.B., Tena, Jennifer, Sandra, and Mary.

    ReplyDelete

Fighting the Mid-Story Blahs

It happens to all fictional writers. Sooner or later we hit the wall with our current story and we suffer through that old, well-known, fear...