Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Paranormal Romance in Paradise

To me the search for new books and new authors never ends. Just when I think I've fallen in love with one genre, I'll find something else that really intrigues me and before long I'm engrossed in a new book and enjoying learning about a new author. That was the case when I saw the cover for author Jeny Heckman's newest book, The Sea Archer.  Jeny is the guest today in My Writing Corner and her newest book is a paranormal fantasy romance that mixes mythology with romance in an engaging tale.   

Jeny lives in Stanwood, Washington, with her husband of twenty five years, and she keeps busy with him and on her writing and photography.  She  says she loves romance as an author. She especially loves writing romance with a paranormal and/or historical twist. She was educated as an artist but she has also gained experience as a banker, sales clerk, draftsman, charity fundraiser, jewelry maker, nursing student, hospice volunteer, photographer, mother, and wife. 

But writing has long been a calling, so she finally turned her attention to it. 

Raven Hunter, a musical prodigy, flees to the Hawaiian Islands to pick up the pieces after her marriage to her manager collapses. Instead, she experiences extraordinary and unsettling events that are beyond her understanding. 

Living in paradise, marine biologist, Finn Taylor has the unconscious but effortless ability to understand the needs of the animals he cares for. His playboy lifestyle is most men's fantasy. That is, until the night he meets the shy and elusive new island resident. Suddenly his life no longer feels like his own. The attraction is undeniable. However, vastly contrasting lives, peculiar dreams, and an unbelievable proclamation that they could be the direct descendants of Poseidon and Apollo threaten to divide them forever. Will they accept their destiny and begin the quest of a lifetime or will they remain in their comfortable yet separate existence?

Why did you choose this genre?
I love the paranormal romance genre. It’s fun and it’s interesting. I have never written in this genre though and that was a little different. I changed from being a pantser to a plotter but all in all I loved the process. It was really fun implying the “fantasy” world within the real one. Where you get that reasonable doubt that the fantasy may be possible.  

What do you think is the most difficult thing about writing a book?
By far, the most difficult thing about writing a book for me is having a head full of ideas and unable to write them down because I’m busy or the day is packed full of other events or people. It’s by far the hardest part. When I write, I don’t really like to stop. I definitely lose track of time. So, invariably I need a lot of undemanding time or I’ve been known to get a little grumpy when I get interrupted.

What book have you read that you wish you had written?
Well, of course the gold star would be Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. I truly love the way she weaves realism with fiction, with history, then back to the fantastic. She truly is a very gifted story-teller.

If writing is your first passion, what is your second?

Writing is absolutely my first passion and then a very close second is photography. Two very creative fields I know. I love capturing moments whether in life or in my mind and showing it to people. To stand in the Scottish Highlands alone but able to show it to people like they’re standing there too, is exciting. Primarily, I shoot portraits and weddings but recently I’ve really gotten into scenery and epic landscapes. I love capturing moments, expressions and small windows of time that reveal more than what you expect.


How much of the book is realistic?
I think the modern day story is very realistic, especially the emotions and awkwardness. I’ve seen or experienced many of the scenes in the book. Some made me actually laugh and some made me cry.

What do you like best about your hero?
Oh Finn, what is there not to like about Finn! He is perfectly flawed, as most men are. I love men, so I love writing about them and Finn is the epitome of male beauty but doesn’t always get that isn’t enough. I like his turmoil in how he handles this tsunami that’s entered his life. Just a side note. When I write, I have to have a visual on my desktop of the character and when I wrote Finn’s scenes, his visual counterpart is Ben Dahlhaus (with the short beard). So, if you are wondering my vision of him, Ben was it. Go look him up now and you’re welcome!


What do you like best about your heroine? 
I love…LOVE Raven! She was such a loud voice and presence in my head. I love that we have an idea about what a celebrity might be like. We think we understand their lives, their intellect, their beliefs, when we don’t know them at all and many times they are nothing like the people you fall in love with on the stage or screen. Raven is two separate people and everyone thinks the one on the stage is the real one. However, she is just as insecure as everyone else. She doesn’t know any more or less than anyone else. Her life is primarily the same just with extra wrapping paper. Second side note, Jennifer Anistan was the visual que for Raven. The best thing is Jennifer has played many roles and I was able to get the performer and every day woman characters of Raven from Jennifer too.

How can readers get your book and get in touch with you?

Contact:

Links for Purchase:
Amazon            
Chapters
iTunes

KOBO


Thank you, Jeny, for introducing us to The Sea Archer.  Any comments or questions for Jeny? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fighting the Mid-Story Blahs

It happens to all fictional writers. Sooner or later we hit the wall with our current story and we suffer through that old, well-known, fear...