Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Meet Marie Tuhart

My guest today in My Writing Corner is Marie Tuhart. Tell us a little about your writing journey and how you got started as an author. 

Well, I wrote my first novel at 19. Didn't have a clue what I was doing, but I'd been reading romance since I was sixteen and wanted to write one. Then real life got in the way with a full-time job and going to college that it took away from genre writing. I took creative writing in college to keep my toes in the water.

Did you always want to be a writer?

I've always had a good imagination, but I really didn't consider becoming a writer until I graduated college.

What genre or genres do you write?

I write contemporary erotic romance, dabble in paranormal erotic romance and contemporary series romance. I read my first romance while babysitting for my sister. I loved the story, it was sweet romance. My cousin owned a used bookstore at the time, so I loaded up with 4 boxes of romance and dived in. I loved the way the stories took me away (I read historical, contemporary anything I could get my hands on) and they made me feel good.

Where do you get story ideas?

It depends. For my current book, Red Club Temptation,  it was an idea from my publisher about the small main town of Lobster Cove and I started play "what if" and brainstormed with my critique group. Other times, I have a germ of an idea and I go from there.

Tell us about your writing process. Do you plot carefully or wing it?

I do both. I used to be a very detailed plotter, but now I do a rough outline and go from there.

How do you normally come up with characters?

Usually the characters come to me. I can be thinking about writing a book and suddenly a character come to mind. Sometimes characters come to me in my dreams.

How much say or input do your characters get in your plotting?

Oh that's funny, because my characters have lots of input. Makes me sound insane, but my characters will talk to me about what they will or will not do. And many times they surprise me.

Tell us a little about the background for this story and what made you want to write it?

Well, my publisher The Wild Rose Press, did a call for book set in the small town of Lobster Cove Maine. It crossed all the sub-genres. So I started thinking, how would a BDSM club fit into this town. I found out when the town was founded, researched what brothel's were called at the time and the store went from there.

How did you come up with your characters for this book?

That was funny, I was at a writing retreat when the call came out. So I brainstormed with my critique group. But my first thought was "what if the heroine owned the club." And then I thought about why the hero would come back to Lobster Cove.

What do you like best about your current hero?

Caleb is really a good guy, he's all man and is willing to go the extra mile to get what he wants.

What about your heroine?

Jessie is spunky and won't take crap from anyone. But she also has a soft side.

What do you like best about being a writer?

The creation of the story.

What do you like least?

Edits. I have to think too much. What are you working on now? Right now I'm working on edits for a ménage book called Bound and Teased. These characters have taken over and run amuck.

What do you like to do when you’re not writing?

Read, take walks with my dog and visit with family.

Do you listen to music while you write or do you like total silence?

I always have either music on or the TV. I need white nose.

How about a blurb?

She needs a dungeon master. He needs her secrets. Red Club owner Jessie Michaels isn't looking for love, just someone competent to monitor her dungeon in Lobster Cove's only BDSM club. But a new Dominant catches her eye and makes her tingle in all the right places. She's called away for business before she can catch his name, but not before that commanding voice tempts her for more. Caleb Drake has returned to Lobster Cove to find out what makes the Red Club so successful only to discover the sexy redheaded sub he met the night before is actually his boss. He vows to keep business separate from pleasure, but the temptation to see if the iron-fisted club owner is truly submissive in the bedroom becomes too much. But when Caleb's ulterior motive is revealed, will Jessie be ruled by business...or pleasure?

How can readers reach you or find you online?

Website: www.marietuhart.com Facebook www.facebook/marietuhart Goodreads https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4190063.Marie_Tuhart Twitter @marietuhart Pinterest www.pinterest.com/marietuhart

Thanks for being my guest today, Marie, and good luck with your new book.  Any questions for Marie?

2 comments:

  1. Marie, I love hearing about how you brought home a whole box of romances and read them! I could totally visualize that. I also like how you said quite simply, "they made me feel good." As a writer, I have to remember that is my goal, first of all to make the reader feel something, and especially in the end, to make the reader feel good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Nicci. I still love to read romances that make me feel good.

      Delete

The Joy of the Writing LIfe

One of the fun parts of being a writer has been the many wonderful authors I've been privileged to meet in my writing journey. Today'...