Monday, December 28, 2020

Celebrating A Fresh Start

Every year don’t we all as writers make promises to ourselves to write more in the New Year? This will be the year when we get another book written or start working on the novel we’ve always wanted to write. This year seems to be even more challenging with all that has occurring around us, things over which we have no or little control.

Usually at this time of the year, I have often looked back on what I accomplished in the past 

year before I start making goals for the new year. It’s a good way of acknowledging my good moments  while recognizing what still needs to be done.  These past few months have been more challenging, especially since we often don’t have control over what is happening around us. That only makes our writing endeavors more critical.

Rather than worrying about not being able to write, this is a good time to take stock of what we have accomplished during this challenging last year and look forward to what we still want to accomplish and how we might want to get moving on a started project or working on something new.  

No matter what happens in the coming months, I know that one way or another I will be starting new projects and finishing old ones before the year is out. I will not stop and that is half the battle.

So how do we get started with fresh material and fresh ideas to start out the new year?   Well, here are some easy ideas that can help with your writing.

 Experiment with a new genre

Take a class

Try a New Way of Researching

Write a short story

Try a Whole New Approach

 Let’s examine some of those tips for getting that fresh start for 2017:

Look for something new to do. One thing that has caught my interest as the year closed on 2020 was writing science fiction. Oh, I’ve had the idea in the past, but this year I am going to try it. Why not? Look around at the genre you are working in. Is it growing a little stale? Have you been considering another one? Why not try it now in the new year? Play with a short story if you can’t commit to something long. Or if you haven’t written a short story in a while, do that instead of a longer tale.

 Take a class.  I always recommend classes when people are stuck with their writing. A different perspective on your work and a different way to look at an old topic can get the creative juices flowing again. I am always on the look out for new classes to take or something new to learn. Keeping my mind active is a good way to keep young. I am not taking a class this month, but I am teaching one on plotting and I’ve already come up with some new ideas from the students who will be in my class. 

Try a new method of researching.  One story I began working on last year required historical research and I found myself so involved in it that this past weekend I started off the new year at the library with an in depth look at the research department. I already came away with some new leads (and some new research books) that will help me get that story finished.

Experiment with a  new approach. I usually write down my accomplishments from last year and set goals for the new year. This time around I am going to look at different methods of getting my writing output increased. You can do the same thing. If you've been considering some changes in your writing schedule or even a new project, use this time of year as the perfect way to make that start. 

Try a new schedule, a new way of editing--what didn’t you do last year? Are there things you wanted to do that you put off?  I’ve declared 2021 as the year of finishing things those projects that got started and are waiting for progress or finishing. 

And that’s  just what I hope I’ll be applauding at the end of the year. Happy New Year and Happy beginnings!!  I'll be around with new classes, new writing projects and new ideas for your writing as well as introducing new writers and their books here in My Writing Corner. Let's make 2021 the Year of Writing!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fun with Characters

One of the first questions many people ask when they learn someone is a writer is "How did you become an author?" or "Did you...