Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Romantic Read from Cape Cod

The new year is a great time to start reading in a new line and this month we are featuring new releases from the new Candy Hearts series.  Today we are talking to romance author, Katie O'Sullivan, who lives on Cape Cod. She says living next to the Atlantic influences everything she writes, from her YA series about mermaids to her contemporary romances from The Wild Rose Press. Her newest work, Say Yes, was just released yesterday.

Tell us about your Candy Hearts book and where you got the idea for it.
My first two novels from The Wild Rose Press are set on Cape Cod in the summer – Crazy About You and My Kind of Crazy. But I also love Cape Cod in the winter time, and the thought of setting a Valentine story in the middle of winter sounded like a challenge – not your average Cape romance!

What do you like best about your heroine?
Darby Malone is strong, smart, capable when it comes to business, but also vulnerable when it comes to relationships. And I love her confidence in wearing bright colors!

What makes your hero special?
Ben Phillips is a successful artist, but he’s still willing to take chances and go outside his comfort zone. He’s not in it for the money; it’s really all about the art. And winning the girl.

What is your writing process – outlining or just writing?
Usually I let the characters lead the way and direct the storyline, but in this case the entire story came to me fully formed. I’d never written a novella before SAY YES and wasn’t even sure I could write a complete story in so few words, but in my head I watched it all like a Hallmark movie and made an outline. It flowed so easily, I’m thinking I should try it for a full-length story.

Any advice for a beginning writer?
Write. Sit down, butt in chair, and write something every day. And read widely, both in and out of your chosen genre.

What is your next project?
I’m currently working on another Cape Cod romance, this one a full-length novel set in upscale Chatham, in the kitchens of a 5-star summer resort. Oh, and a sequel to my psychic romantic suspense, Ghosts Don’t Lie, which came out in November from The Wild Rose Press.

How about a blurb on Say Yes?

Darby Malone has trouble saying no. Hosting a children’s Valentine party at her recently renovated gallery is the last straw, and the last time she intends to say yes to anything. That is, until she meets Ben, a well-known Cape Cod artist with eyes as deep and blue as the ocean. He stirs feelings in her that have been dormant for too long. Can she afford to say yes to him?

Ben Phillips needs this gallery show. His life has been empty since his wife died four years ago, his paintings the only thing giving him solace. But his style has changed, his art completely different than the breezy shore paintings he staked his reputation on. Can he convince Darby to give him a chance – and to consider him for more than just a place on her gallery walls? Will she give him a place in her heart as well?

That sounds like another wonderful Candy Hearts book. How can readers get in touch with you?

Website: www.katie-osullivan.com
Blog: http://katieosullivan.blogspot.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorKatieOSullivan
Twitter: https://twitter.com/OkatieO
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/3326303.Katie_O_Sullivan
Amazon Author Page: http://www.amazon.com/author/katieosullivan

Buy Links:
 
 

 
Thank you, Katie, for being my guest and introducing us to Say Yes.  Any comments or questions for Katie?




17 comments:

  1. Loved this book!!! Everyone should "SAY YES" to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your book is on my TBR list, Katie. It sounds great and I look forward to reading it. Hope you have wonderful success with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the blurb, Katie! The book sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blurbs are always the hardest part, aren't they? I loved writing this book, though!

      Delete
  4. Hi Katie, I enjoyed Say Yes. I found you WIP interesting. Advise to new writers applies to all of us. Butt in chair and write -- everyday. Thanks for sharing! Good Luck with Say Yes!

    Oh, wanted to ask, so you write more than one book at a time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tena, yeah, I always have a few things going. My day jobs have always involved writing and editing multiple projects, so it doesn't seem that strange. Now, that said, I do get focused on a particular story for long stretches, or until I get stuck! I've been pretty slow at producing since I took this new day job because it already pulls me in too many directions, but I'm getting into a groove and plan to have my next YA book out this summer, and hopefully get the next ghost whisperer story submitted soon! Fingers crossed

      Delete
    2. Good for you. Day jobs can rough on the writing schedule. Best wishes with you WIP. I love ghost whisper stories. Look forward to it.

      Delete
  5. Can hardly wait to read this one, Katie. Best of luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie, love the blurb for the book. You write the way I do. Much success to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katie's books are awesome, this sounds like a great book, too. I will have to put on my TBR pile, am judging RITA right now and they sent me seven books. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hebby you are lucky, I too am judging the RITA and RWA sent me 8 books. Wonder why the difference. TBR list on hold!

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Fighting the Mid-Story Blahs

It happens to all fictional writers. Sooner or later we hit the wall with our current story and we suffer through that old, well-known, fear...