Wednesday, May 11, 2016

The Sweet Side of Romance and Success

It is always exciting to see a new writer enter the publishing world. It means more books to read. Visiting today in My Writing Corner is Mariah Ankenman who is a new writer with The Wild Rose Press. Please tell us about your road to getting published with TWRP:

Like many authors, once I finished my first manuscript I queried the heck out of it. Years of rejections and a few manuscripts later I read an interview in the Romance Writers Report about small press publishers. The Wild Rose Press was one of the publishers interview. I really liked what they said and how they approached the publishing process. I sent them one of my manuscripts and they liked it. When I got the contract offer I literally jumped up and down screaming like a maniac.

That reaction sounds familiar!  When did you know you wanted to be a writer?  
 
I was always playing make believe as a child, making up stories in my head, but I think the very first time I truly knew I was meant to be a writer was in fourth grade. My best friend and I collaborated on a story. I wrote and she drew the pictures. It was a murder mystery and looking back, pretty laughable, but our teacher encouraged us. Teachers have so much more impact than we give them credit for. They are a truly undervalued profession.

Tell us a little about your new and how you came up with the idea for it:
 
My book, Love on the Sweet Side, is a friends to lovers story about a baker and a cowboy. I got the idea from a dream I had one night about two people being snowed in at a cabin in the woods. The story developed from there.

Now that sounds like the perfect premise for a good love story. What is your writing process—outlining or just writing:

When I first started writing I was a “go with the flow” type writer. It took me a year to finish a book because some days I would only write one sentence. Now I am completely in the outlining camp. I plot out the entire book before ever sitting down at my computer. It keeps me on track and knowing where I‘m going with a story. That said, I always allow myself to deviate from the outline if the story pulls me in another direction, but having the basic story mapped out allows me to stick to deadlines.

Any advice for others who are trying to get published?

Don’t give up! You only fail if you don’t try. Keep writing, keep submitting. Take classes, go to conferences,  go to writer’s groups. Find what works for you and stick with it. Also, a good editor is worth their weight in gold. Listen when an editor gives you feedback, they know what they’re talking about and their suggestions will make your story shine like you never believed.

What is your next project:

I’m currently working with TWRP on the rest of the Peak Town Colorado series. The second book is in with my editor now, release date TBD.

We'll look forward to it. How can readers get in touch with you and buy Love on the Sweet Side?

Buy links:
Contact info:
Twitter: @MAsBooks
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mariahankenmanauthor/

Thanks for being my guest today. Any questions or comments for Mariah?
-


No comments:

Post a Comment

A World Traveler's Debut

The best thing about publishing a weekly authors' blog is getting to meet so many different, talented writers and to learn about them an...