Tuesday, November 15, 2022

A Visit to the Wild Wylder West

The world of journalism is a fascinating place, and that is why I can really relate to today's guest in My Writing Corner. As someone who dreamed of joining that special world from the time I was in grade school, until I got my first job at a college newspaper, and through later years as a broadcast journalist, I've always been partial to people in that profession. Today's guest in My Writing Corner is not only someone I can readily relate to, but I am also excited about her latest work that is set in my area of the country.

Barbara Bettis is a multi-award-winning author who says she can't recall a time she didn't love the adventures of daring heroes and plucky heroines. She is a retired journalist and college English and Journalism teacher, She lives in Missouri where she tries to keep her grandchildren supplied with cookies. When she's not editing for others, she's working on her own stories with heroines to die for-- and heroes to live for. 

Barbara, tell us about your road to publication.


I began writing fiction late—after I’d retired from teaching and after my husband died. I had wonderful friends and crit partners and from one of those good friends, I learned about The Wild Rose Press, which she published through. So when I was looking for a publisher for my first medieval, I contacted it. I was thrilled to be accepted and I’m still happily publishing with TWRP. 

How do you come up with your plots?


I pick out a general time frame and location, know the political situation in the country (usually England) at the time, and come up with a hero and/or heroine. My heroes are almost always mercenaries looking for their own holding. Then I do some brainstorming on paper, some freewriting, and a lot of staring into space as my mind tries out various situations and conflicts. I have been known to get up in the middle of the night to record an idea, because I’ve learned that no matter how clear it might seem at midnight, it might be gone by 8 a.m. 


I have published five medieval novels and one short story that have formed a series with characters introduced in or connected to those from the first book. I’m hoping to set up a series like that with the story I’m plotting now.


How do you develop characters?


Technically, I figure out their physical characteristics, their backgrounds—what brought them to the point where the story begins. Then when writing starts, they seem to develop themselves. I know, that sounds vague, but it’s rather accurate. My writing is a combination of plotting and pantsing, (plotser?) so the characters round out as they go. Their personalities are pinned down in a general way at the start, and as the story grows, so do the characters. Sometimes one takes an unexpected turn as the storyline unfolds, which sends me back to revise. And, yes, characteristics of people I know or have observed sometimes turn up in my books. Mostly good. Mostly. 


What is your latest book and how did you come up with the idea to write it?


My latest title is Last Stop, Wylder, an historical Western. A fun change for this medieval gal. LOL. TWRP put out a call to its authors for stories set in 1878 and centered around a fictitious Wyoming town called Wylder. (The series has opened up to non-historical stories set around the town.) I did a bit of reading about early Wyoming Territory and was fascinated by the fact that it was the first place in the country or territories to allow women to vote. That and my interest in frontier newspapers formed parts of the story.


Let's find out more about your book:


A gunman’s word is his bond, and a lady’s trust can shatter.


Gunman Morgan Dodd is headed to a new life in California, where no one knows his name. Or his reputation. Just one last job to raise money for his fresh start—gunhand for a railroad agent in Wyoming. Easy enough. Until he meets the woman who could change everything.


After ending her engagement, Emily Martin longs for independence. She sets out for Wylder, Wyoming, to help her brother with his newspaper. But when she arrives, she finds he’s off investigating a story. Well, then! She’ll simply publish the paper herself until he returns. Emily’s prepared to face challenges, but not the dangerous stranger who ambushes her heart. The same man hired to destroy her livelihood.


When a common enemy threatens, Morgan and Emily must find a way to defeat danger and save their budding love. But a gunman’s word is his bond, and a lady’s trust can shatter.

How about an excerpt?

From the crest of a bluff east of Denver, Morgan Dodd considered his future. 


A new start where no one knew his name. A new life.  


West to California? Beyond the snow-flecked mountains to his left, barely visible in the early evening haze.  A land of opportunity with booming cities, wide valleys to ranch. 


He shifted in the saddle, his gaze drifting northwest. Oregon, maybe. Word of rich, fertile land sounded mighty appealing. He could settle down there, farm a little. If he remembered how to farm. God knew, it’d been long enough.


He settled back into his familiar saddle. First, though, north to Cheyenne. Where one last job awaited—and the money for that new start, wherever it lay.


Morgan glanced again at the blue-shrouded foothills to his left. The unknown. Deep in 

his chest, a hitch of anticipation had him straightening. If he rode hard, he could reach Denver by dark. Then at first light, off to start over.  Perhaps…


Something moved. His attention focused on the edge of a clearing just below. In the light dusk, three antelope ventured from a clot of trees to sample the tall, lush grass of late July, tender again after last night’s rain. 


His brief reflections forgotten, Morgan brought up his Winchester and sighted. For a moment he hesitated. The three animals were beautiful. Young, their lives ahead of them. He hated for a gun to change one forever. Nostalgia hit him, as unexpected as it was unwelcome. He swallowed it.


He had a duty and he’d best get it done. One shot brought down the biggest of the trio, sending the other two leaping for cover. 


A breeze carried the distant murmur of cattle settling in for the night on rich grazing ground to the east. Morgan dismounted and strode to collect his kill. Tomorrow his fellows on the drive would dine on something other than beans and rabbit. 


Then they’d head out for the rail head in Cheyenne. 


Cheyenne. 


His path had always been set. A new job.  Gunhand for a Union Pacific agent. 


He threw one last glance toward the mountains. 


Maybe next year. 


                                                         *****


Sounds interesting and here are the buy links to keep on reading Last Stop, Wylder:


Are you working on a new project?


I’ve  started plotting a new medieval and hope to begin on the writing in a few days.


That sounds like you will be very busy.   To learn more about Barbara and her other books, her author links follow:
Thank you for being my guest today on My Writing Corner. Any questions or comments for Barbara?

19 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting me today on your lovely blog, Rebecca.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading about your background and how you develop plot and characters. I LOVED Last Stop, Wylder!!! Good luck on your new release, Barb!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend! (My plan is pretty flexible :) )

      Delete
  3. This book just sounds delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that was me! I wrote it sound delicious, ahaha. Not anonymous!

      Delete
    2. Hey, Peggy. Thanks!! No, you're not anonymous LOL!

      Delete
  4. Great interview, Ladies! It's always nice to get to know more about fellow authors.

    Good luck and God's blessings on your new book, Barbara and to you also, Rebecca!
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pamela. I thought Rebecca's questions were hard!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations! TBR pile here it goes 📚

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the post! We have much the same process. Amazing, isn't it, how ideas that are so clear in the middle of the night are completely forgotten by morning?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Alina! All our brilliant insight--gone in the light of day! LOL Thanks!

      Delete
  7. It's always interesting to see how other authors develop their wonderful stories. Enjoyed learning more about you Barb!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the interview, Ladies! And I'm loving this story, Barbara! All the best, dear lady.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the premise and the excerpt. Best wishes for the book’s success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, the above comment was from me. My iPad wouldn't let me sign in. Anyway, congrats!

      Delete

Fun with Characters

One of the first questions many people ask when they learn someone is a writer is "How did you become an author?" or "Did you...