Tuesday, April 4, 2023

A Passion for Romance

Writing a series can be daunting, even if it can also be very enjoyable. Today's guest in My Writing Corner brings us the next installment of her Scarred Hearts Series. My guest is author Jennifer Wilck whose latest book, A Heart Restrained has just been released. It is book number three in her series Scarred Hearts.


Jennifer Wilck is an award-winning contemporary romance author who writes for readers who are passionate about love, laughter, and happily ever after endings. She is known for writing both Jewish and non-Jewish romances, and she says her books feature damaged heroes, as well as sassy and independent heroines, witty banter and hot chemistry.

Her books have the ability to transport the reader into the scene, while creating characters that readers fall in love with. Her stories evoke a roller coaster of emotions that hook readers from the beginning.

Jennifer got her start as a writer when she began telling herself stories as a little girl when she couldn’t fall asleep at night. Pretty soon, her head was filled with these stories and the characters that populated them. Even as an adult, she says she thinks about the characters and stories at night before she falls asleep or walking the dog. Eventually, she started writing them down. She says her favorite stories to write are those with smart, sassy, independent heroines; handsome, strong and slightly vulnerable heroes; and her stories always end with happily ever after.


In the real world, she’s also the mother of two daughters and says she is the wife of one of the smartest men she knows. She tells us that she believes humor is the only way to get through the day and does not believe in sharing her chocolate. 


Let's hear more about A Heart Restrained:


She refuses to sell him her company; will she give him her heart?


Caleb Zeno, a wealthy and successful media mogul, refuses to allow emotions into any aspect of his life, especially his entertainment corporation. When his company’s lifestyle website runs into competition from a small boutique company, the most logical solution is to buy out his rival. 


Fiona Hamilton’s lifestyle website succeeds due to her loving and caring treatment of her clients, who have become like family to her. She has no desire to sell to anyone, much less a tattooed, muscled, automaton. 


At odds professionally, Caleb and Fiona come together as a favor for Caleb’s sister. Sparks fly and sexual chemistry abounds. But Caleb can't let go of his abusive past and be the man Fiona needs, and she is unwilling to risk independence and financial security for anything less than a perfect happily ever after.

 

Can they put their differences aside to find a viral kind of love?


Want more? Let's talk to the characters, starting with Caleb:


How did you become so successful in business, Caleb? 


I’m the CEO of WW Media, the number one media conglomerate in the country. I’m logical in my approach, and I excel in identifying a need and then fulfilling it. As consumers’ media needs and desires change, I make sure our company has the tools in place to meet those needs. If my company can’t do something, I buy other companies that can. It’s simple, really.



What frightens you about Fiona?

She’s too emotional for her own good. You can see her thoughts and feelings in her eyes. It’s a terrible thing for a business owner, and it’s even worse as a person. If others know how you feel, they’re going to exploit you and you’re going to get hurt. I’m afraid she’s going to get hurt. Also, she’s the only person who can read me. Somehow, she knows what I’m feeling. I don’t know how she does it, but that scares the hell out of me.


What do you want for your future?


Do you mean in business or in my personal life? In business, I want to improve our market share in our lifestyle website. It’s the only part of our business that is failing. Fiona’s company is better than ours, so I want to buy her out. In my personal life, well, I don’t like to share things about myself with other people, but I like Fiona. She’s smart and warm and funny. If we weren’t like oil and water, I’d want a relationship with her. 



Now let's talk to Fiona:


Fiona, what draws you to Caleb?


Oh, so much! First of all, he’s gorgeous. Tall, broad, and bald, with tattoos. He’s kind, but don’t tell him I said that. He’s got a lot going on inside of him, and he thinks he keeps it all hidden, but I can see what he’s feeling. He’s got depth and intelligence. If he wasn’t trying to buy my company, I’d say he was without fault—almost.


What frightens you about him?


He’s afraid to show his emotions, and it’s impossible for me to be with someone who won’t let me in at all. He’s a “Mr. Fix-It” and I want him to be a “Mr. Feel-It.” From a professional standpoint, I’m afraid I’ll lose my clients if they think I’m willing to sell out to some huge media conglomerate that won’t provide the personal touch.


What do you see for your future?


I see myself continuing to run my business—Love, Laugh, Live. My clients are like family to me, and I couldn’t ever give them up. Personally, I want a happily ever after like I see in my favorite telenovelas—deep and emotional. I’d like to see if Caleb and I could manage to put aside our differences, but I’m not sure it’s possible. 


What worries you about taking a personal risk?


Like anyone else, I’m afraid of getting hurt. I’m also afraid of losing my independence or being used for someone else’s gain. There’s so much to Caleb, I could fall hard. I just don’t know if he’s capable of being my happily ever after.


Very interesting characters! Let's get an excerpt:


“Wouldn’t you enjoy this more if it were in English?” 


She paused and shifted so she faced him, one leg bent under her, the other dangling off the edge.  

“Absolutely not! Telenovelas are so much more emotional than American TV.” 


"Why don’t you at least research online to find a plot summary?”

 

“I’m happy with the way things are,” she said. “I don’t need to hear the words to feel the story.” 


“But...you’re crying.” 


She smiled through her tears and wiped her cheeks. “I know.” 


Staring at her, his heart rate increased, and he tamped the panic her tears caused. At first, he thought pain caused her tears, but her rapt attention to the screen made him realize otherwise. 


Why would she want to do this to herself? And how could she enjoy a show she couldn’t understand? 


He should leave, before she recognized his complete lack of comprehension. But her rapt attention to the screen fascinated him. She was smart—his business dealings with her had proven it. Yet she focused as if she understood her show. 


She stared at the TV screen, but he couldn’t take his gaze off her. Her skin, despite its bruising, was luminous. Her lips were parted, and she gripped the edges of the sofa cushions until her knuckles turned white. This close to her, heat radiated from her body. He could hear a faint sigh. 


If she were this passionate about a television show, how passionate would she be if he kissed her? 


Want more? You'll have to buy the book!  Here are the Buy Links:


Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BS56R4LH

 

 Barnes & Noble: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/a-heart-restrained-jennifer-wilck/1142971831?ean=9781509248186

 

 iBooks: https://books.apple.com/us/book/a-heart-restrained/id6445422670

 

 Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/a-heart-restrained

 

 Universal Link: https://books2read.com/u/3k2G5n

 

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/86517561-a-heart-restrained?from_search=true&from_srp=true&qid=YUDEumjVK5&rank=1


Bookbub: https://www.bookbub.com/books/a-heart-restrained-by-jennifer-wilck


To learn more about Jennifer and her other books, here are her social contacts:


Website: https://www.jenniferwilck.com

Facebook Readers Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/879114386079365

Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063739892318

Newsletter: https://www.jenniferwilck.com/contact.html#newsletter

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/authorjenniferwilck/

BookBub: https://www.bookbub.com/profile/jennifer-wilck

Linktr.ee: https://linktr.ee/JenniferWilck

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5032661.Jennifer_Wilck

Thank you, Jennifer, for being my guest today.  Any questions or comments for Jennifer?


11 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for hosting me today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful set up for opposites attraction. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the new release

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful interview! Wishing you continued success, Jennifer, and I've added this book to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this. I needed to meet Fiona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a joy to write, Liz. And such a foil for the hero.

      Delete
  6. The interview -- so great! I absolutely love these characters and this book! A wonderful post, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed your interview, Jennifer. Thanks for sharing!--Nancy

    ReplyDelete

A World Traveler's Debut

The best thing about publishing a weekly authors' blog is getting to meet so many different, talented writers and to learn about them an...