Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Back to School With a Touch of Danger

As parents, teachers and students get ready to head back to school, it's time to feature a book in that setting, and that's just what we're doing today in My Writing Corner. My guest is author, Diane Weiner, whose latest book features a school house setting.

Diane is the award-winning mystery author of The Susan Wiles Schoolhouse Mysteries, Thee Sugarbury Falls Mysteries, and The Sara Baron Tuned-In Mysteries. An animal lover and mother of four grown children, she shares her Florida home with her husband and 3 precious cats. She says in her free time, she enjoys running, spending time with her family, and watching scenic British and Scandinavian mysteries under a cozy blanket with the air conditioner cranked down.

Her newest book is Goodnight, Murder and will be released by The Wild Rose Press on August 28, 2023. Here's the blurb:

Professor Jenna Blake is back. She survived a school shooting. She survived her husband’s suicide. With the help of supportive parents, a therapy dog, and Oreos, she’s regained her grip on life. Or has she? On her first day back from an extended sabbatical, she finds a cryptic note on her desk requesting a meeting.
When the anonymous note writer is a no-show and later turns up dead, it ignites a volatile chain of events. If she can’t explain why her scarf, address, and DNA are found on the dead stranger, she’ll lose her job and be thrown in jail. When Jenna discovers a second victim murdered in the woods and one of her students goes missing, she rises to the top of the suspect list. Enlisting the help of a hot private investigator, her humorous teaching assistant, and the original victim’s fiancĂ©, she fights to uncover the twisted truth.

Want more? Let's get an excerpt as College professor Jenna is speaking to a detective after a body has been found on campus:

        A man held his badge up to the peephole.
        “Ms. Blake? I’m Detective Russo. I’m working the Isabel Hernandez homicide. May I come in?”
        She unlatched the door. Detective Russo was muscular with thick, dark hair and a Brooklyn-Italian accent. She put his age at around fifty, maybe a decade older than she was.
        “Who is Isabel Hernandez?”
        “The victim was found just off campus this afternoon.”
        “You mean the body in the woods? It was murder?”
        “Correct. I have a few questions.”
        “Come in.” She felt completely puzzled as to why he’d be questioning her about a murder case. Maybe not completely puzzled. The thought this victim was the person she was set to meet had been nagging her all afternoon. “I don’t know how I can help you.”
 
       
“Did you know the victim?”
        “Me? No. I just resumed teaching a couple of weeks ago. I don’t have any students named Isabel.”
        The detective pulled a business card from his pocket. “We found this on the body. That’s you, isn’t it?”
        “Yes, that’s my business card. I just got them in the mail a few days ago.”
        “This is your home address scribbled on the back. And your phone number, correct? Did you write this? Have you given away many cards?”
        She grabbed her reading glasses. “Yes, it’s my address and phone number. No, I didn’t write it, nor have I given away any cards yet. I have no idea who this girl is. Do you have a photo?”
        The detective opened his iPad. “Her fiancĂ© sent this to us.”
        Jenna stared at a beautiful young woman in a party gown, with huge brown eyes. “I’ve never seen her before.”
        “Are you sure?”
        “I’m sure.” She considered whether to mention her concern. “Wait. I don’t know her, but I received a strange note when I went into work today. It said to meet behind the student union building after my class. Isn’t that near where the body was found? It was…”
        “It was what?”
        “The note said it was a matter of life and death.” Her heart sank.
        “Do you have the note?”
        “Yes, it’s in my purse. Hold on.” She dug through the purse. “Here.”
        The detective compared it to the writing on the back of the business card. “I will get the lab to analyze it, but it looks like the victim’s writing. What did she say when you met with her?”
        “I didn’t. I mean, I went to the back of the student union building after class and waited, but she never showed.”
        “She wasn’t one of your students? You’re certain?”
        “I can check my roster.” She opened the laptop and drummed her fingers on the coffee table waiting for it to load. She scrolled through her two classes. “Nope. No Isabel Hernandez.” She scrolled through previous class lists. “Not a former student either.”
        “Don’t you find it strange? Someone you never met before died with your card in her pocket. And now you tell me you received a note. If you know something you aren’t sharing…”
        “I told you I’ve never met her and I have no idea why she had my information.”
        “Well then, here’s my card. If you think of anything, any possible connection to this girl, call us immediately.”
        “I will.” She resented the detective’s tone. Does he think I had something to do with this? I won’t be blamed for another death—not in this lifetime.

Thank you, Diane, for being my guest today. Following is the pre-order buy link for Goodnight, Murder and Diane's social contact information.

Preorder Link:

https://www.amazon.com/Goodnight-Murder-Diane-Weiner-ebook/dp/B0C8VHVVPM

Social Contact information:

Download a free ebook when you visit Diane's website and join her mailing list!

Click: http://www.dianeweinerauthor.com/

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/dianeweinerauthor/


Are there any comments or questions for Diane?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious Doings

As a longtime book lover, I have always enjoyed reading mystery novels, and that has not changed since I was in grammar school. Even now, my...