Tuesday, January 16, 2024

A Delicate Balance

Becoming an author can be extremely challenging ,and yet it can also be very personally rewarding. One of the reasons I enjoy doing a weekly blog is that it gives me the chance to learn the individual stories of so many authors. Every author's story is different, and today's guest in My Writing Corner has a very unique background. Joining us is author Valeriya Goffe. She is with us to today to allow us the opportunity of learn more about her and to tell us about her new book that has just been released, Secrets We Keep.

Valeriya was born and raised in Ukraine but she has spent most of her adult life in the USA. She is currently working for a large international organization leading developmental projects in various countries. She  says that during her career, she has traveled extensively in Africa, Middle East, Europe, and Asia. She holds a PhD degree in finance from the Kyiv National University of Economics in Ukraine and an MBA degree from Kogod School of Business, American University in Washington DC. She is also a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Charterholder. Valeriya is trilingual in English, Russian, Ukrainian and also speaks French and Spanish.

Valerie, what do you enjoy about being an author?

I’ve always wanted to become an author. It’s a wonderful profession. You get a chance to speak about things which matter to you, share your views with the world, and take your readers on a tour of your favorite places. What can be better?  


In the writing process, I especially adore polishing my books and adding small things here and there to make a particular sentence sound better, or to enhance some scene. Even a few words can make a big difference. Writing is a lot like paining: you work on your painting for many days, look at it from different directions, and then you put final touches to make it absolutely perfect. I love that feeling. 


What do you find is the most challenging part of being an author?


The most challenging part is balancing my time and making sure that I can still do some writing each day, despite having a demanding regular job and also being a Mom to my wonderful 8-year old daughter. If I could, I would spend the whole day just writing fiction! Putting the pen down is very hard for me, especially when I have a lot of ideas and the plot is literally unfolding in front of my eyes.   


Tell us about your road to publication.


My road to publication hasn’t been easy. It’s incredible that my book is finally published! 


Being entirely new to the publishing world (my regular job is in finance), I found the process quite complicated. I kept knocking on various doors until Secrets We Keep found a good home. 


My book is not conventional because it’s written in English, but it portrays the life of a Ukrainian heroine and her family. This is quite new for the American market. I knew from the start that not every publisher would be interested. 


I queried quite a few publishers, and finally, some good news came--The Wild Rose Press (TWRP) accepted my book. I immediately knew that they were the right publisher for me. 


First, they contacted me on my wedding anniversary. Pretty good sign, right? Second, in their reply they expressed sympathy about the tragic events happening in Ukraine. No other publisher said anything about Ukraine at all (an eye-opener for me). 


Right then and there I knew that people working at this publishing house were wonderful. So I had no doubt that I should accept their offer. And once I became part of TWRP, I discovered that not only did we had a brilliant publishing team, but also hundreds of fantastic authors who are always ready to help. Everyone is so supportive of each other and happy whenever another author publishes a new book or wins an award. I’m honored to be a part of this great team.


What is your latest book and how did you come up with the idea to write it?


My debut novel, Secrets We Keep, tells the story of a young Ukrainian woman, Anna Levenko, who moves from Kyiv to Washington, D.C., in search of a successful career.


This novel takes the readers on a tour of several countries—Ukraine, the United States, and Tanzania. All the places which I describe in the book are very dear to my heart. I work in international development, and the African storyline of the novel has been inspired by my work in Africa. 


Over a decade ago I travelled to Africa for the very first time. I started working in Tanzania, Uganda and Botswana. Coming from Ukraine, this was a new experience for me. I held meetings with various counterparts in different African countries. One thing which struck me right away was that quite a few high government officials in Africa had apparently studied in the Soviet Union of all places. That gave me an idea for a book. 


What if one of the members of African elite, Solomon, came to the Soviet Union back in the 70’s, obtained a degree, a job, got happily married there, but did not tell his new Ukrainian family anything about his life in Africa? He gets killed in a car accident, and the connection to Africa is seemingly lost forever… But one day, Solomon’s granddaughter gets a job which sends her to Africa, and she finally has a chance to find Solomon’s family. 


My friends and family members in Ukraine have inspired some of the Ukrainian characters in my novel. These are happy, fun-loving and patriotic people who love their country and diligently follow its many customs and traditions.


Let's get a blurb:

 A rising star that fell...

Anna Levenko was set to become the next "it girl" in tennis. The first Ukrainian prophesied to win a Grand Slam… And then everything changed. Years later, with a business degree behind her, an unpaid job keeping her busy, and a family that means well, Anna can't help but dream of something bigger. What's one little white lie in the grand scheme of things?

But Anna’s dream job isn't just sunshine and roses. Her first project takes her to Tanzania, and everything that could go wrong, does. Not to mention her woeful love life. Will she ever reach the life she's worked so hard for? Or is success just not in the cards for Anna?

How about an excerpt?

The Indian Ocean was gorgeous, with its bright and clear turquoise waters, and they were  passing a lot of different, interesting vessels. Some of them were ordinary boats and yachts which Anna was used to seeing in the States, but others had triangular lateen sails and sharp bows. These boats were both big and small, and some were tiny with just one fisherman sitting in them.

“These are called dhow boats,” Jean said, pointing at a few of the traditional vessels sailing by. “It is a typical East African boat. In the past, merchants were traveling in such boats all the way to and from India carrying all kinds of heavy items—fruit, water, different merchandise—”

“I love these,” she interrupted with excitement. “They are so beautiful and romantic. They look like the vessels from fairy tales.”

By now, Anna was no longer scared; she even got up and walked around the boat, enjoying the scenery around her. The boat was moving at a good speed and would be reaching the destination in no time.

Anna tried not to look at Jean but eventually she could not help taking a peek at him sitting on the bench, totally in his element, relaxed with his blond hair flowing in the wind. He took his T-shirt off, and Anna was able to see he had a deep tan and was muscular—maybe a couple of inches shorter than David and also thinner.

How would David carry himself in Tanzania? Anna laughed at the mere thought of having David on this boat. Of course, he would never set his foot on it and never in a million years allow Anna to take it. David would also never be saying “jambo” and embracing the captain. It was hilarious even to imagine that.

In fact, Anna could not even tell David she went on this day trip. David belonged in his glass house in D.C. and at holiday destinations like Jekyll Island, Miami, Nice, Venice, and the like. Well, David does not need to know anything about today. No point in worrying him unnecessarily. It is just one trip.

What’s your next project?


My plan has always been to write a trilogy about the Levenko family. I am now pretty close to finishing a sequel (book #2), it just needs some polishing. 


To clarify, the 1st book, Secrets We Keep, takes place during the peacetime in Ukraine. I started writing this book some years ago, way before the full-blown Russian invasion of Ukraine, so everything which happens in this book is cheerful and calm. People focus on love, sports, careers, friendships. The way things used to be for all the Ukrainians. 


Given the progression of events, the second book is set during the war time. It is a very emotional book and it has not been easy to write. I try to protect my characters as much as I can, but there is only so much I can do. Also, as I am writing this book, I am re-living all the tragic events all over again, which is heartbreaking. 


I greatly hope that by the time I start writing the third and the final book, Ukraine would win the war, so I could finish the trilogy on a high note.


To read Secrets We Keep following are its buy links and Valeriya's contact information to learn more about her.


Purchase Links:

https://books2read.com/u/b6lZaE

Social Media Tags:

Website: www.valeriyagoffe.com 

Twitter: @GoffeValeria

Instagram: valgoffe_author


Goodreads:
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/45254947.Valeriya_Goffe


Thank you, Valeriya, for being my guest today. Any questions or comments for Valeriya?


3 comments:

  1. This is a beautifully written. I wish you many sales!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are definitely writing what you know. Wishing you many sales and peace in the Ukraine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fascinating read. All the best for the future. LB Griffin Author

    ReplyDelete

Time to Get Cozy

As a writer of Cozy mysteries and an avid reader of them, how can I pass up the opportunity to get to know a cozy author who sounds as thoug...