Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Enjoying the Writing Ride


As a longtime reader of romance and mystery/suspense books, I  have always enjoyed reading books in a series--stories with familiar characters or set in familiar locations. There's something about getting to know a setting, a common theme or a character that draws me in from book to book. I'm always ready for the next installment and I often watch for when the next book is going to be released. Today's guest in My Writing Corner has written a number of books that are parts of several overall series. 

Joining us is author Virginia Barlow. Let's go directly to our guest for her description of her books and her writing career: 

"I have always loved reading romance novels. I used to sneak into my mom’s room as a young girl and read them while she was gone. As I grew older, my reading and tastes expanded to sci-fi, dystopian, paranormal, and fantasy.

 I considered becoming an author in my late twenties but as a busy mother with toddlers, I didn’t have the time nor the energy.


 Later, in my fifties, I decided to give it a try and have enjoyed every moment of it since. I recently signed my fourteenth contract and am doing my happy dance as I type this. My husband of forty-one years is my greatest support as are all my kids. Most of them are grown and carving out lives for themselves. They are the beat of my heart and with every grandchild, the rhythm gets stronger. I enjoy every moment of my life." 


Thank you, Virginia, and I'm certain readers will enjoy your writing! Let's get a blurb on your new book, Catching Rose and hear from the characters:


Rose Tanner dreamed of a fairytale wedding her whole life. But when her prince leaves her at the altar, she wants to know why. Traveling to Texas for answers she finds more than she bargained for. Captured by a human trafficking ring, she fights for freedom. Risking her life to help the other women with her, she discovers there's more to happy ever after than she thought. Texas Ranger Chase Calhan wants one thing, to capture El Diablo's men so he can marry Rose. When they get to her first, he races against time to catch Rose before it's too late.


Now, let's talk directly to the characters to learn more, starting with Rose. Tell us about your relationship with Chase Calhan.


I fell for him the second I met him. One look into his whiskey-colored eyes, and I was lost. We’ve had our differences, and things were pretty bleak a few months back. He left me at the altar, and I wanted to throttle his gorgeous, tanned neck. But after everything that happened, when we did meet again, somehow it didn’t matter. My anger melted like chocolate on a hot summer day, and I realized all the things I thought were important weren’t. Being with Chase did. 


How do you know he's the ONE? 


Because when I think of life without his wicked grin and knowing eyes, I can’t breathe. He’s the other half of me, and I could no more do without him than I could do without my legs or my heart. 


What do you fear about your relationship with Chase? 


I used to worry he would find someone who could shoot, hunt, and ride like he can and leave me for her. But after what happened in Mexico, I know he loves me for who I am. We are so much a part of each other now, I worry about the day one of us dies. How do you live without the other half of your soul?

 

What is your biggest personal strength?


My biggest strength is my love for those around me. And my determination. I’ve been told I have a big heart, but I think it’s a soft one because I cannot bear to see others suffer. I have to do something to fix it.


Now let's hear from Chase. Tell us about your feelings for Rose.


What do you want to know? That she makes me hurry home at night to hold her in my arms? That her kisses are sweeter than honey and I can’t get enough? Or that she makes me the happiest man alive? I don’t know what I would do without my sweet, brown-eyed Rose.


How do you know she's the ONE? 


Well now, it’s pretty simple. She holds the moon and the stars, and everything in between. When I thought I lost her, I damn went insane. You know she’s the one when you face the future without her and know there isn’t one.

 

What is your biggest strength?


Rose. And my love for her. She smiles at me and I feel like I can conquer the world. I damn near had to, to get her back. But that’s all in the past now. (chuckle) I’m also a fair hand with a knife.


What is your biggest fear? 


I’ve made plenty of enemies as a Texas Ranger. I would say my greatest fear is one of them getting to Rose, and me being too far away to help. That’s the stuff of nightmares, right there.

Want to know more? Let's get an excerpt: 

        He stopped beneath a large tree outside the hotel and turned her to face him. “I don’t want to waste another minute. One thing I learned over the past few days is the error of putting something off until tomorrow because tomorrow might not come. The way I see it, marrying and loving you is the single most important thing I will do with my life. With Delgato headed for the noose, I don’t want to put it off any longer. I can’t risk it. I knew it today when I found you unconscious back at the cantina. I want you in my bed tonight.” 
        Rose bit her lip. “What about our wedding and the family waiting for us in Chicago? Giles has been making plans for months now.” Her magical wedding hovered on the horizon. 
        “I’ll marry you anywhere and everywhere in every language and religion there is to make sure you’re mine, darlin’. We have a few things to work out between us before we go to Chicago and let Giles have free rein. Tonight is for us. I know how I feel about you, and you know how you feel about me. All I’ve thought about is you for the last few days. I burn for you in ways I didn’t think possible.” 
        Her stomach hitched as she gazed into his whiskey-colored eyes and nodded her head. “I don’t think I can wait much longer, either. You’re all I’ve dreamed of for months.” 
        He stared into her soul. “Then, let’s continue this conversation in your room.”

Want to see how things turn out for Chase and Rose? You'll have to get the book. Here are the buy links as well as Virginia's contact information to learn more about her other books and Series.

Buy Links (including Goodreads and BookBub):


Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Catching-Calhan-Brides-Virginia-Barlow/dp/1509252649/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3GH0VDNA2MBVD&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.2NOQg3sivkYXZi-5yVUbtw.h6TOesOxCPlj4TDpZqOEj83DVtSIoKcFyoCMCM9Cuok&dib_tag=se&keywords=catching+rose+by+virginia+barlow&qid=1705194258&sprefix=catching+rose+by+virginia+barlow%2Caps%2C149&sr=8-1


Barnes and Noble: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/catching-rose-virginia-barlow/1144421887?ean=9781509252640


Bookbub https://www.bookbub.com/books/catching-rose-by-virginia-barlow


Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/203155315-catching-rose

Social Media Links:

Twitter: https://twitter.com/virginiabar1031

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/virginiasromancenook/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/3046288755596817

TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@virginiasromancenook

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvGFHEfWqTshpYrUvlwbQhQ

Website: https://www.virginia-barlow.com


Thank you, Virginia.  Any questions or comments for today's guest? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A World Traveler's Debut

The best thing about publishing a weekly authors' blog is getting to meet so many different, talented writers and to learn about them an...