Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Getting Back into the Writing Spirit

The best thing about doing my weekly blog is getting to meet so many authors who visit My Writing Corner. Every story is different, and I enjoy reading about them all. Today's guest has a wonderful tale to tell. My guest today is author Jules Parker and her new book that has just been released is Bygones Be Damned. Doesn't that title immediately grab your attention?

Jules says she is a longtime lover of action movies, fast cars, and good books. She tells us she picked up her first romance novel at the age of 12 and has been crafting white-knuckle love stories ever since. Having published 10 romantic suspense novels under the pen name J.A. Dennam, she took a short break to focus on health and family, and has now returned with what she says is a fresh set of ways to deliciously "torture her characters." She says her favorite thing to do is to immerse herself within the creative confines of her she-shack, though she says she is also known to ride motorcycles and cuddle chickens.  Let's find out more about Jules.

What do you enjoy about being an author? 


Creating the stories. If I could do that and nothing else, I'd have a million of them written by now.


What do you find is the most challenging part of being an author? 


The social media aspect of connecting with readers. I'd much rather meet face-to-face.


How do you develop characters? 


I don't have a specific formula, but I do have standards that all my characters must meet. They must be strong, they must be driven, and they must be relatable. Most of the time, my characters develop before my very eyes, just from their interactions with other characters.


How do you come up with your plots? 


Always from personal experience. Kidding! Well, sort of. For example, after I recovered from a broken leg, I needed to let out some pent-up energy, so I volunteered to demolish some industrial cabinets for my husband. Smashing stuff felt so good, I developed a heroine who could knock down buildings and climb structures better than any man in her field...including the tough guy who wanted to demolish her! Until she stole his heart, that is.


Jules, tell us about your road to publication. 

I wrote my first romantic suspense 23 years ago out of a deep need to purge it from my brain. It was rough, cursed with plot holes, and wrapped up at a whopping 180K words. Twelve years later, I self-published that book. It's polished now, split into two parts, and it will always be my favorite. After seven years as a hybrid author--having published ten books under the name J.A. Dennam--I had to step away for a while and take a much-needed breather.


Now, I'm starting round two with a bang thanks to my new partnership with The Wild Rose Press. More to come!


What is your book that you will feature today and how did you come up with the idea to write it?

Bygones Be Damned is my first romantic suspense under the pen name Jules Parker. It started out as a sequel to a book I'd published with Start Media a long time ago. Unfortunately, they didn't want the series, so my half-written baby was tabled for a while. Then I decided...what the hell. This couple is too dynamic to waste! With a few tweaks and name changes, Marcelina and Walker's tale came alive with more vigor than I could have imagined. This story led me more than I led it.


Let's get a blurb: 

Facing years in prison, Marcelina Page leaves her fate in the hands of her sexy, tough-as-nails lawyer, Walker Bishop. But she’s holding back a secret past that may ruin her chances in court...and her chances with Walker. When an opportunity to guarantee her freedom arises, she fears there is no choice but to enter the very world of organized crime she has tried so hard to avoid. Walker is used to dealing with difficult clients, but never one that threatens to penetrate his heart the way Marcelina does. Her forbidden mouth captures the unwanted attention of his criminal enemies as well, prompting a deal from the DEA that could work in everyone's favor…if not for his own selfish desire to keep Marcelina for himself.


Want more? How about a short excerpt:


Walker Bishop stopped dead in his tracks. His freshly-shaven face popped out from behind the towel. As soon as he registered her presence, he let out a thick curse and covered his privates. 

“I knew there was more to you than just a stiff suit,” she teased. 

He dove toward the walk-in closet. “Dammit, Marcelina!”

“What?” She cocked her head, soaking in his sculpted posterior before the closet door closed and blocked her view. 

“You broke into my house,” came the muffled reply. “I’m pretty sure that’s a crime.” 

“Your front door was open. Besides, I’m a criminal. It’s in my file, which you probably haven’t touched for weeks now.” 

“Get out of my bedroom!” 

The anger in his tone had turned to annoyance, but Marcelina knew she was safe before walking through the front door. Her court-appointed attorney had a soft spot for her somewhere beneath that tough exterior. She’d seen it in his reluctant smiles, his annoyance and even his anger. It was the only reason he’d agreed to take her case when he clearly wouldn’t win it, sullying his stellar track record. 

With a sigh, she pushed out of the chair and approached the closet. “I’m not leaving, Walker. Not until we talk about my case.” 


What’s your next project or what are you working on now? 


Funny you should ask! I'm currently working on the sequel to Bygones Be Damned, though my next book to be published through The Wild Rose Press is called Whippoorwill Hill. It's a stand-alone, also a romantic suspense, and it's about a land war involving a crooked politician, a small-town sheriff, and an unsuspecting city girl that gets caught in the middle.


What advice do you have for beginning writers? 


Write your stories without rules, without boundaries, and without fear. Your heart will lead you through a wonderful, unique journey that will stand out among others.


Sounds like great advice!  Here are the buy links for Bygones Be Damned and social contact information for Jules:


Buy links:


The Wild Rose Press: https://wildrosepress.com/product/bygones-be-damned/


Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0D64JJ52K/thewildrosepr-20


Barnes & Noble: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/bygones-be-damned-jules-parker/1145630717?ean=9781509256136


iTunes: https://books.apple.com/us/book/bygones-be-damned/id6503908480


Books-A-Million: https://www.booksamillion.com/p/9781509256136


Social contact info:


Website: http://www.julesparker.com

X: @JParkerBooks

Instagram: julesparkerbooks


Thank you, Jules, for being my guest today.  Any questions or comments for Jules?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Living the Writing Life

Some people are just meant to become authors. After learning about today's guest , I'm convinced that was the case for Rosetta Diane...