Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Escape into a Western Romance

As we move deeper into the fall and get ready for winter, I am always looking for a new book to curl up with for a day of reading. That means I am always ready to hear from a new or favorite author about her latest book.  My guest today is romance writer, Danica Favorite.  
I  love to hear stories about getting the road to publication. How did you get started?
I’ve always loved writing, but I never imagined that it would be a career until I was home with my now 15-year-old, who was a baby at the time. I needed an outlet for my creativity and so I looked online for something I could do. I found the Harlequin.com online community and discovered that they were looking for authors. Thirteen years later, I sold my first book. I did not take the fast path to success, but it’s been a good journey, and I’ve really enjoyed it.

You’ve taught classes on nourishing the writer’s spirit. Can you tell us more about that?
I’ve seen a lot of friends struggle with burnout, and in, fact, when I finally sold that first book, after working so hard for so long, the strongest emotion I felt was exhaustion. As writers, we pour out so much of ourselves creatively, emotionally, and physically, but we don’t often take the time to fill ourselves up. Many writer friends often feel guilty for doing things to take care of themselves because they’re already taking time away from their families to write. But unless we take care of ourselves and nourish the spirit that makes us such great writers, we’re going to burn out. It makes me sad to think of writing friends who are no longer writing because of it. Writers have been given such a great gift, and I want to help them nurture that gift.

You’re sponsoring a writer’s retreat next month. Can we get the details?

Yes! I’m going to talk about the things I do to nurture myself that have impacted me creatively and helped my productivity, but more importantly, have really made me a lot happier in life in general. It’s going to be very hands-on, so don’t expect to sit and listen to a bunch of theory and stories. We’ll spend time talking about the things we as writers can do to nurture ourselves, and then, everyone is going to go off and put those ideas into practice. My goal is for everyone to go home with their own nurturing plan so that when they’re working on their writing, they have tools for keeping themselves in a good place, fully nourished and able to live their passion so they aren’t depleted.

Please tell us about your latest book.
My latest book is The Lawman’s Redemption, which came out in July. It’s my second book, and it takes place in Leadville, Colorado during the silver mining boom in the 1880’s. To me, it’s a great story about forgiving yourself for your past mistakes and finding redemption in the things gone wrong.

What gave you the idea for it and what made you want to write it?

Originally, when I started thinking about Mary, whose story I knew I wanted to write next, she seemed so perfect. Which got me thinking about other people we think are perfect. So many times, that perfection is a veneer hiding a deep wound or flaw. Because I am a writer, I love knowing secrets, and so I wanted to find out Mary’s. And of course, the hero had to be a man determined to find them out.

How about a blurb?
Lawman on a Mission 

Former deputy Will Lawson is fighting to regain his reputation—and Mary Stone is his only lead to the bandit who framed him. Now that he's tracked Mary to Leadville, Colorado, Will needs the proud beauty to reveal her past. Instead, his efforts spark a mighty inconvenient attraction…

Mary's only real crime is that she once believed an outlaw's lies. Still, she fears disclosing the truth to Will may land her in jail—and leave her young siblings without protection. Now she must choose between honesty and safeguarding her family. And if Will does clear his own name, can he convince the woman he loves to share it?

What are you working on now?
Wow, you caught me just as I finished and turned in one project, Shotgun Marriage, which is Emma Jane’s story, and will be out in April. And the next day, I received a call from my agent saying I’d just sold books four and five, which are Polly’s and Rose’s stories. So I’m not getting much of a break right now! I’m writing Polly’s story right now, and I’m having a lot of fun with it. Basically, it’s her worst nightmare come true.

How can readers reach you or find you online?
Website: http://www.danicafavorite.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/danicafavorite
Instagram: https://instagram.com/danicafavorite/

How can we sign up for your retreat?
Visit www.danicafavorite.com/retreat

Thank you for being my guest today.  I am really looking forward to the retreat next month!
Any comments or questions for Danica?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fun with Characters

One of the first questions many people ask when they learn someone is a writer is "How did you become an author?" or "Did you...