Wednesday, July 26, 2017

A Journey to Romantic Supernatural Summer Reading

Time travel romances have always been among my favorite genres to read and I've even a attempted several in my writing. That was what immediately captured my interest in the writing of Beth Trissel. She is the guest today in My Writing Corner. Beth says she lives on a farm in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia surrounded by her human family and furbabies.

She describes herself an an avid gardener and uses her love of herbs and heirloom plants in her writing. She says she is also inspired in her writing by the rich history of Virginia, the Native Americans, and the people who journeyed from far beyond Virginia's borders. She's especially drawn to colonial America and the drama of the American Revolution and she loves ghost stories. In addition to Young Adult and New Adult fantasy romance, she also writes historical, time travel, and paranormal romance, plus nonfiction. Beth, please tell us about your latest work.

Thanks for having me on your blog, Rebecca Grace, to share my new release, Somewhere My Lady (Book 1, Ladies in Time). I’m delighted to be writing time travels again. Not that anyone stopped me before, I just took a wee break. Like years. Now I’m back. History fascinates me, and I enjoy researching different eras, but I also love mixing in fantasy and the paranormal. The time periods in Somewhere My Lady change unpredictably, like the staircases at Hogwarts in Harry Potter. Fun to do. There’s also a poignant depth and mystery to this romance.

Two things that most inspired me were Edith's Theme, the hauntingly beautiful song from the Crimson Peak soundtrack, and my love of old homes. I've lived in them most of my life, and visited plenty. I also love gardening and have sprawling beds filled with heirloom flowers and herbs. Some plants have been here for ages and our farm-house was built in the 1870's. Old homes exude an indefinable sense of place, and are never really empty. Perhaps the spirits of those who once dwelt there come back and visit, or leave a part of themselves behind. I don't know, but I like a good ghost story.

Harrison Hall, the colonial era home in Somewhere My Lady, is loosely based on Shirley Plantation, a magnificent 18th century home, built along the James River in Virginia. In the story, this wonderful manor sized house is a paranormal hot spot, concealing a deadly mystery Hart and Lorna must solve.

Lorna Randolph is hired for the summer at Harrison Hall in Virginia, where Revolutionary-War re-enactors provide guided tours of the elegant old home. She doesn't expect to receive a note and a kiss from the handsome young man who then vanishes into mist.


Harrison Hall itself has plans for Lorna – and for Hart Harrison, her momentary suitor and its 18th century heir. Past and present are bound by pledges of love, and modern science melds with old skills and history as Harrison Hall takes Lorna and Hart through time in a race to solve a mystery and save Hart's life before the Midsummer Ball.~

"Somewhere My Lady is a fun supernatural romance that will have you slipping in and out of the past and future as if you were a spirit yourself." -- Colleen’s Book Reviews

Somewhere My Lady is available from all major online booksellers. In Kindle at: https://www.amazon.com/Somewhere-Lady-Ladies-Time-Book-ebook/dp/B071VTNC7V


Author Links:
My Amazon Author Page where all my books reside:

Thank you, Beth, for introducing uss to Harrison Hall, Lorna and Hart.  This sounds like a great summer read. Any questions or comments for Beth?

1 comment:

Fighting the Mid-Story Blahs

It happens to all fictional writers. Sooner or later we hit the wall with our current story and we suffer through that old, well-known, fear...