Monday, May 3, 2021

A Journey to Another Time, Another Place

When I first  began reading romance novels many years ago, historical romances were my first choice. I enjoyed not only getting away from the real world into a realm filled with romance, but I also loved being placed in a different time in some many different settings. Today's guest in My Writing Corner is here to take us away to another world and another time.  

Author Kathy Otten is a book coach, and developmental editor. She lives in the rolling farmland of
Western New York.
 Her novels and short stories are filled with wounded heroes and feisty heroines. Her Civil War novel, A Place in Your Heart was a Northwest Houston RWA Lone Star winner, and her historical western Lost Hearts, a Utah/Salt Lake RWA Hearts of the West finalist.

 She is an active member of Pennwriters, Inc., and leads an area critique group. Kathy also teaches

fiction writing at the local adult education center and presents workshops on-line as well as at conferences and author events. When she’s not writing, Kathy can be found walking her German Shepherd, Henry, through the woods and fields near her home, or curling up with her cat and a good book.

Her newest book is Heart of Ash, which is set during World War I. I asked Kathy about the special challenges of writing a story set in another time. To me, setting has always been very important. Here is her answer:

Though it is a short story, the amount of research was both daunting and incredibly fun. I watched hours of WWI reenactors, documentaries, old movie footage of planes, and pilot interviews.  I read tons of material on pilot training, uniforms, dog fighting techniques, and old planes. If you're going to write historicals, you really have to love the research.

Excellent point!  That is a valuable lesson for any fiction writer. To me, getting into the setting can make all the difference in the enjoyment of any story. 

Want to know more about the story itself?  I certainly do!  Let's get a blurb:





  https://www.kathyottenauthor.com or at kathy@kathyotten.com

Any comments or questions for Kathy?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Rebecca, This story was a little out of the box for me, but fun to try something different. Thanks for having me here today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes writing out of the box can really help sharpen your focus. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Enjoying the Writing Ride

As a longtime reader of romance and mystery/suspense books, I  have always enjoyed reading books in a series--stories with familiar characte...