Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Time for Sweet Story Treats!

We're reaching the heart of Summer so that means we can all look forward to some sweet summer treats, and I am not just talking about ice cream! Don't we all want to stretch out at the beach or lounge by a lake in the mountains?  Yes! This is the time to sit in a cool spot with a hot book. My guest today in My Writing Corner brings us just such a summer story. Visiting today is Virginia Barlow, and she's here to tell us about her new book, which is one of The Wild Rose Press stories in the One Scoop or Two series. The book is Smore's Siren Song, and it has just been released.

Welcome, Virginia! Please tell us about yourself:


I have been married to my best friend for thirty-nine years. I enjoy knitting, crocheting, and quilting. My favorite flower is the rose, and my favorite dessert is lemon meringue pie. I have two large dogs who keep me company while I plot. I don't know what I would do without them. I like to throw story ideas at my family when I write myself into a corner. They have been my greatest support and I appreciate each one of them for listening and throwing ideas back at me.

What got you started on your road to publication?


I have always been an avid reader, and a few years back I decided to try my hand at writing. I bought books on how to compose stories and began to write. I believe I wrote four different drafts for my first novel. When I finished, I read up on how to write a synopsis and how to submit. I sent out fifty of sixty queries and received a lot of rejection. I will never forget the day Rhonda emailed me and asked for my entire manuscript. I nearly dropped my phone. This journey had been incredible, and I am forever grateful for the experience. 


What do you enjoy about being an author? 


I enjoy putting my stories down on paper. For years, I have had stories rolling around in my imagination and seeing them in print is very satisfying.


What do you find is the most challenging part of being an author? 


I think the most challenging part of being an author is the marketing. It’s tough to be mom, writer, and promoter at the same time. Each job has a wealth of entities needing your attention. 


How do you come up with your plots? 


I think the most helpful advice I have been given when plotting a story line is asking “What could go wrong?” You are only limited by your imagination at that point.


I understand you have 2 books in the Wild Rose Press One Scoop or Two Series. Today we are featuring S’Mores Siren Song, published on July 6, 2022.  How about a blurb?


Adysson Townsend spends her nights as a siren and days as a human. She owns an ice cream parlor along the waterfront and challenges a big fishing company over their illegal activities. But she’s almost out of time. On her twenty-fifth birthday, she must decide which form she’ll keep. It’s simple until a handsome officer comes to town and steals her heart.

Commander Benjamin Yeates volunteers for the job in Maine. Ever since he spotted a mermaid as a youth, he’s been curious about Mystic Cove. Now a marine biologist, he jumps at the chance to find out if they’re real. He falls hard and fast for Addy before he discovers there’s more to her than meets the eye, depending on the time of day…. 

Now how about an Excerpt: 


    The boat turned around and hummed away from shore.

    Adysson sucked in a much-needed breath of relief. She’d deal with the rumors of a mermaid later. Right now, the importance of clothes outweighed anything else. She glanced at the beach and found it deserted. Making a beeline for the chest holding her terry robe before any more prying eyes spied her, she stepped from the water, retrieved the garment, slipped her arms through the sleeves, and cinched the belt.

    Relieved, she turned and walked right into a human wall adorned with black wavy hair and sultry blue eyes.

    “Oh! I…uh…didn’t see you there.” Her voice quivered with tension. Damn! Damn! Damn!

    “I would say it’s pretty obvious.” His dark gaze roamed over her too hot face to her bare toes and back

up.  “Nice, uh, robe you’ve got there.” He glanced up and down the beach. His gaze fell to the waterproof bin at their feet. “I didn’t realize Mystic Cove had a nudist beach.”

    Her gaze shot up to his. “We don’t. This beach belongs to me. See the No Trespassing sign?” She pointed at a sign next to them and waited for his reaction.

    He stood a head taller and wore a navy shirt open at the neck and navy trousers. A grin crossed his face. “What’s the penalty for skinny dipping here?” His amused expression did a once over her body before gazing into her eyes.

    Heat flamed her face. “A thousand bucks and up to six months jail time. Do you plan to turn me in?”

    His gaze darkened and dropped to the V in her robe. “No.”

    Adysson swallowed and shifted her feet. She’d never been this close to such an attractive man before.

    “The fine varies up and down the coast.” He gazed at the water behind her head for a moment and then returned to her face. His voice dropped to a sexy drawl. “Since this is a private beach, I’ll let you off with a verbal warning.”

    Confused, she frowned. “What?”

    He took a leather billfold from his front shirt pocket and flipped a badge at her. “I’m Coast Guard

Commander Benjamin Yeates. My friends call me Ben.”

    Adysson groaned. Her knight in shining armor arrived to slay Marshal International, and she stumbled into him naked. “Adysson Townsend. My friends call me Addy, but I don’t think we qualify as friends.”

    He chuckled. “Oh, I don’t know. I’ve seen more of you than most, I’m betting. So I’d say we were friends.”

    She chose to ignore his comment. “Can you arrest me? I thought your authority ended at the shore.”

    “I can go anywhere as long as it’s tied to my investigation.” A gleam entered his dark eyes. He

leaned closer. “Do you want me to arrest you? I’ve got a set of cuffs in my truck, but I can think of a better use for them than taking you in.” His breath brushed across her cheek, and desire glittered in his eyes.


What is your next book and how did you come up with the idea to write it?


My latest book is Devil’s Dominion. I am finishing up edits and should have news of a release date soon. I came up with the idea one day when my son and I were talking about a school assignment and some of the demons he researched for his project.


Do you have another project planned?


My next project is about a lady gambler in the 1700’s. I am about halfway through the writing, and I’ll admit, I’m in love.


Thank you, Virginia, for being my guest on My Writing Corner.  Following are her buy links and social contact information.


Buy Links (including Goodreads and BookBub)


Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Smores-Siren-Song-One-Scoop-ebook/dp/B0B1Z649P3/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3EYMNIV2H7P15&keywords=smores+siren+song+in+books&qid=1654391487&sprefix=smores+siren+song+in+books%2Caps%2C397&sr=8-1


Barnes and Noble https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/smores-siren-song-virginia-barlow/1141502780?ean=2940185824528


Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/61220671-s-mores-siren-song


Bookbub: https://www.bookbub.com/books/s-mores-siren-song-one-scoop-or-two-by-virginia-barlow


Social Media Links:


Website: https://www.virginia-barlow.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Virgini35142126

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/virginiasromancenook/?hl=en

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/3046288755596817


Does anyone have any questions or comments for Virginia?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Fun with Characters

One of the first questions many people ask when they learn someone is a writer is "How did you become an author?" or "Did you...