Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Stepping into Another World

Reading a book series has long been one of my favorite ways to enjoy my favorite authors. When I look at my bookshelves I see at least five of my favorite people occupying many of the shelves. Because of this, I am always searching out authors who offer a series that I can enjoy. Today's guest in My Writing Corner has a series that sounds like a winner.


My guest today is Terry Segan. She is originally from Commack, NY, but now resides in the desert where she says she’ll never require an ice scraper or snow shovel again. Terry says the beach is her happy place, but any opportunity to travel soothes her gypsy soul. The stories conjured by her imagination while riding backseat on her husband’s motorcycle can be found throughout the pages of her paranormal mysteries. Growing up immersed in sarcastic humor and science fiction movies, Terry says her  goals are to cause her readers "to laugh out loud, cry with joy, or cower under the covers wondering if the noise under the bed was real or imagined".

Terry appeared on my blog last year with her first book in her Marni Legend Series, called Spirit in Tow.


Her new book, Manatee Soul, will be released next week and is available for pre-order. Let's get a blurb.


Marni Legend has embarked on the most perilous journey of her life—a vacation with her sister. The women are like two peas in a pod, providing each pod came from a different mother ship. One day into their Florida adventure, Marni questions her choice of travel partner. Gloria strives to understand her carefree younger sibling while kayaking and snorkeling without chipping a nail.

 

With nothing but eternity on his hands, Phil insists the sisters resolve the circumstances of his untimely demise. The wise-cracking spirit leads them on a trail filled with bartenders, bikers, and the promise of a hidden treasure.

 

Her greatest challenge will either be enduring a week with Gloria or surviving the thugs searching for the stolen booty. Can Marni figure out who to trust, who to avoid, and who she’d most likely want to be trapped alone in an elevator with?


Let's find out more about Marni by talking to her sister, Gloria:


Why did you take this trip with your sister?

I thought it was time for us to try forging a friendship—or at least a truce. Marni has always been the one to break with tradition in pretty much every aspect of her life. I’ll never understand why she can’t just be normal like me. Her free-spirited lifestyle is an absolute nightmare, but that’s just how she does things. This trip is an attempt for us to understand each other. I don’t know how swimming with manatees can help us do that, but Marni insisted on planning our getaway. I hope there’s a decent salon where we’re going. 


What do you admire about her?


I’d have to say it’s the way she’s picked up the pieces of her broken life. When her husband of twenty-five years called it quits, I thought she’d be devastated. I guess she couldn’t balance her home life with her spirit assisting. While his leaving took her by surprise, she managed to keep going. Now, my Robert would never do that to me, even with my talking to ghosts. He’s got much better sensibilities than Marni’s ex.


What does Marni do that makes you crazy?


You want the list? At the top it would have to be the way she sees humor in just about everything. I wish she’d get better at taking things seriously the way I do. Take this trip, for instance. I thought we should have booked a trip to Hawaii and spent quality time on the beach. We could have gotten mani-pedis one afternoon and enjoyed a nice chat getting reconnected as sisters. Instead, she has us swimming in a river with large sea mammals. Not to mention the danger of there being alligators! I wonder if my health insurance covers aquatic animal attacks.


Now let's talk to Phil, a ghost with problems of his own:


What do you think of the sisters?


It’s hard for me to believe they’re even remotely related. Gloria doesn’t appreciate my admiration for her beauty to the point of being rude. While she couldn’t compare to my Holly, oh how I miss her, Gloria does have a certain charm about her. Marni is a bit more crass, yet she has more expertise in dealing with persons in my situation. Though at times, both seem to think it’s okay to pick on the dead guy. What did I ever do? Just because I appear unannounced at times is no reason for Gloria to go off in a tizzy. She really needs to toughen up.


Why do you want them to find out why you died?


Oh, I don’t know. Maybe because it’s a drag hanging about where most people cannot see or hear me. Besides, I deserve to know who killed me. I can’t remember a thing about the incident, but I am, I mean was, too good of a diver to have run out of air. There’s got to be a better explanation, and sadly, I’m dependent on the sisters for closure. If they would stop bickering for a moment or telling me to leave because I’m interrupting their vacation, they might discover the answer. Well excuse me for wanting to know why I’m dead. They can certainly pass up that extra glass of wine to focus on me for a moment or two.


Tell us about this loot they're searching for. 


It’s something my sweet Holly got mixed up in with that shady employer of hers. I never met him, but when I found it on his sunken yacht, I knew I had to keep it far away from my darling girlfriend. She is such an innocent soul, despite Marni and Gloria thinking she had something to do with my death. The nerve of them to accuse her of the deed. One problem with my state of being dead is I can’t remember much. I know I took it from the boat, but I can’t remember exactly what it was or where I put it. I guess that’s one more thing for Marni and Gloria to solve, so they’d better get busy. To add more complications, Marni keeps panting after that motorcycle riding thug. She’s got enough to do without stumbling into a sleazy fling. Does she really need to be acting like a hormonal teenager when my demise should be at the top of her list?


Want to know more? Let's get an excerpt:

“What’s wrong? Can’t hold your liquor?” Phil quirked from beside the outer rail.


“You are not allowed to comment,” Gloria rasped.


“Why not? This is terribly amusing.” Phil stood with arms crossed.


“We went to the bar because of you,” Gloria said.


“And did I make you down several beers and shots of tequila?” Phil asked.


Gloria put a palm to her forehead. “Can you talk quieter? I can’t handle shouting right now.”

Phil snickered.


“Phil, give her a break. She’s not used to playing the wild girl.”


“And I’m not used to playing the dead guy. Guess we all have our issues. At least she’ll recover from hers.”


She sucked down more soda. “Why is he still here?”


“Because you haven’t helped me to move on. You really are slacking on your responsibilities.” He shook his head.


Letting out a loud gasp, Gloria said, “I don’t mean here, like still on this planet. I mean why are you still here on our balcony? If you don’t stop prattling, my head will explode.”


Phil rubbed his hands together. “Now that would be fun to watch. And by the way, I do not prattle.”


“Just let me die in peace.” Did she end that comment with a growl?


“If that were to happen, then we’d be together for eternity.” Phil clapped his hands together like an excited toddler. “Marni, quick, more tequila.”


Doesn't this sound like a fun read?  Here are Manatee Soul's buy links and Terry's social contact information to learn more about her other books:


Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Manatee-Soul-Marni-Legend-Book-ebook/dp/B0CF6HFHKD 

Barnes & Noble: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/books/1143894199 

GoodReads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/195939375-manatee-soul 

BookBub: https://www.bookbub.com/books/manatee-soul-the-marni-legend-series-book-2-by-terry-segan 


Social Contacts: 


Author Website: https://terrysegan.com/

Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/AuthorTerrySegan

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/terrysegan

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SeganTerry

TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@authorterrysegan


Thank you, Terry, for being my guest today and taking taking us into a different world.  Any questions?


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for letting my characters and me visit, Rebecca!

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious Doings

As a longtime book lover, I have always enjoyed reading mystery novels, and that has not changed since I was in grammar school. Even now, my...