Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Escaping to Romance

 Having former guests return to My Writing Corner is always fun because it means they have a new book coming out that we can all enjoy.  Today's guest is Maria Imbalzano, and her newest book is Island Detour, which will be released next week. It is available for pre-order right now!

Maria is an award-winning contemporary author who writes about strong, independent women and the men who fall in love with them. She recently retired from the practice of law, but as readers will discover, legal issues have a way of showing up in many of her novels. When she is not hard at work at the keyboard writing her next book, she is on the go. She says she loves to travel both abroad and in the states.  Maria lives in central New Jersey with her husband but close to her two daughters. Let's chat more with Maria.

Please tell us about the new book that you are featuring today and how you came up with the idea to write it? 


Island Detour took many years to finalize and finally get published, so, I'm thrilled that it will be released on February 19th. Twenty years ago, I had learned about a school in the Bahamas that was associated with The Lawrenceville School – a private high school that is about a mile from my house.  It was a semester abroad type program for high school students where they would learn about the marine environment and conservation while continuing their normal studies. I was intrigued. So I asked a lot of questions back then about this opportunity for students, and eventually developed a story based on this setting. Although The Island School is in Eleuthera in the Bahamas, I set my story in a similar environment but placed it in the Florida Keys.


I chose the Florida Keys because my husband and I have been going down there yearly for 37 years. We have two time shares in Key West and I love it. Sunrise Island Key in the book is based on Key West. 


Let's get a blurb:


Falsely accused of wrongdoing at a Princeton Prep school, Sophie Kearns accepts a temporary teaching position at an environmental school in the Florida Keys to wait out her suspension. The time away is meant to be an anxiety-free escape, but her clashes with the hot but arrogant marine biology teacher, Max Heaton, are anything but tranquil.

 

Max is determined to start an environmental research institute at the school, but he suspects the gorgeous new Lit teacher, who lacks even the most basic outdoor skills, is there to hinder that dream. Yet, something about her tames the demons from his past, and he can no longer ignore the fire she’s lit inside him.


Want to know more? Let's talk to Sophie:

Why did you choose to get a job at the Valen School (a Princeton Prep school)?


The Valen School is one of the top prep schools in the nation. I love working with bright students who are invested in their education. I didn’t have the opportunity to go to the Valen School when I was in high school. My parents couldn’t afford it, and I didn’t receive a scholarship, although I had applied. I’m now working in the school where I had always wanted to be, but now I’m in a position to make some changes. I was just nominated to be Chair of the English Department—a huge stepping stone to my goal of eventually becoming the Head of School. 


What draws you to Max?  


He’s a loner most of the time, and I feel bad for him. I know there’s a reason he acts the way he does (which on some occasions is downright rude—especially to me). But I’ve learned that something happened in the past to make him feel the need to be in control of every situation. When he gets that way with me, I resist, and we end up arguing. But he usually comes around and apologizes. When he’s being nice Max, I have to try to keep myself from falling into the depths of his intense brown eyes. But when he smiles at me, I’m a goner. 


What frightens you about him?  


His need for control. I’ve learned that you get farther in life by collaborating—a lesson he clearly hasn’t learned. Since I’m a bit strong-willed, but in a good way of course, I refuse to follow his rules. Which infuriates him. In the long run, my goal is to teach him collaborate to get what he wants. Eventually, he’ll come around.  


What do you want for your future? 


After my semester at Sunrise Island School, I hope to go back to Valen and take my rightful place as Chair of the English Department. Then when Headmaster Ryan retires in a few years, I’ll be in the perfect position to apply for the Head of School job. 


Now let's hear from Max:


What about Sophie attracts you? 

 

Besides the fact that she’s beautiful, in a conservative, nerdy sort of way, she’s a fireball. She speaks her mind and calls me out when I say something she doesn’t like. She’s the type of person who wants to learn about her new environment, even though she doesn’t have a clue what she’s doing. And she’s even offered to help me get organized enough to put a proposal together for a research institute I want to start, despite the fact I haven’t been exactly nice to her. 


What bothers you about her? 


 I’m not a very trusting guy, and I definitely don’t trust her reason for being at Sunrise Island School. She says she needed a break from the Valen School before she becomes Director of the English Department. That doesn’t make sense. If she needed a break, why come and teach at a school that requires their teachers to kayak, camp, fish, and swim (none of which she can do). Why not go on vacation at some posh resort? I’m afraid she’s here to convince the school’s director to bring her Summer Teaching Institute down here—which will assuredly interfere with my plan. 


What do you see for your future? 


 I love working at Sunrise Island School as a marine biology teacher, but I have bigger plans. I want to start an environmental research institute at the school that will draw professors from around the country during the summer to work on experiments and share their findings on marine conservation with the world. This was something that my brother and I talked about for years and it’s my goal to see it come to fruition.  


Want to know more about Island Detour? Let's get an Excerpt: 


     “People usually wear bathing suits when they go out on the water,” he growled, knowing the only purpose of his statement was to attack her. “Although, maybe you don’t own one. Swimming may be too outdoorsy for you.”


     Even that didn’t give rise to a comment from her. She just pulled her knees closer to her chest and stared ahead. But he needed a fight. And even though Andy should have been his target, he had Sophie sitting in his boat.


     “You must have really snowed Andy for him to give you a job here. Unless there’s another motive.” Come on. Tell me.


     “You make it sound so sinister. I am not here for any disingenuous reason, as you seem to think.” Her words steamed through gritted teeth.


     She wasn’t going to admit it. He’d just have to hit her over the head with it, then. “Has Andy talked to you about bringing your teaching academy down here? Is that why you came?”


     “What?” Her eyes flew open wide, along with her mouth. “What are you talking about?” Genuine shock emerged at his accusation.


     He was either totally off base or witnessing a superb actress at work.


     She sat up straighter. “I’m here because I wanted to take a break. Andy was nice enough to give me a job for the semester. Why would he want me to bring my teaching academy down here?”


     Irritation put more color in her cheeks, and she seemed to be breathing easier. He guessed mouth-to-mouth resuscitation was uncalled for. Too bad.


Want to read on? Well, you'll have to buy the book!  


For more information about Maria and her books, please visit her website at http://mariaimbalzano.com where you can also sign up for her newsletter.


Buy Links


https://books2read.com/u/4D20y7


Social Media Links

Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/mariaimbalzanoauthor

 

X-Twitter

http://www.twitter.com/mariaimbalzano

@mariaimbalzano

 

Instagram

Mariaimbalzano_author

 

Website Link 

http://www.mariaimbalzano.com


Thank you, Maria, for being my guest today. Any questions or comments for Maria?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Time to Get Cozy

As a writer of Cozy mysteries and an avid reader of them, how can I pass up the opportunity to get to know a cozy author who sounds as thoug...