Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Book Lovers' Delight


February is the month of romance, and today's guest  in My Writing Corner brings us a wonderful tale of her romance with reading and writing.  Author Halle Kenton describes herself as a southern Ohio girl with a lifelong love of horses and books.


Her college degrees reflect those loves. With a B.S. in Equine Science and an M.L.I.S. in Library and Information Science, her decision to leave her library career after twenty years to write full-time was a move she says she doesn’t regret, even if the writing/publishing world can be challenging.


Halle is currently at work on several other books while she searches for her next Equinus Perfectus. She suggests you go to her social media pages if you have any good suggestions on a horse rescue in the wonderful Midwest.  Let's find out more about Halle.


What do you enjoy about being an author?


Telling a story. Pulling myself, and hopefully, my readers into a time and place that takes us to another world or sparks the imagination. 

What do you find is the most challenging part of being an author?

There are several challenges to being an author. Right now, promotion, especially on social media, is the biggest hurdle for me. No matter what the advice is from others in the writing world, this is about my book, not me. As long as readers enjoy the story and identify with my characters, I’m happy. As for what socks I wear while I write, nah, not important.  

Tell us about your road to publication. 

I’ve been writing for twenty years and don’t plan on stopping. My head has too many stories to tell, writing is fun (sometimes), and Hollywood needs my ideas (right, she said with a smirk).

How do you come up with your plots?


Plots and characters come from everywhere. I watch a show or movie or the news, I read a book or article, and out of nowhere, the plot begins, usually with a character attached. Almost all of the stories in my head center on a romance because love makes life worth living.


What is your book that you will feature today and how did you come up with the idea to write it?


My debut contemporary romantic comedy is “A Horse of a Different Color”. I have a Bachelor’s Degree in Equine Science and did an internship on a Thoroughbred breeding farm in Lexington, Kentucky. The idea for this story began to percolate at that time and never left me. Also, horses are my forever love.


Let's get a Blurb:

When stable owner Cheyenne Modine meets vet Jack Carter, it's hate at first sight. He may look like the sexiest man alive but his arrogance tells her he's a privileged member of the elite Lexington, Kentucky, Thoroughbred world. Cheyenne Modine is exactly Jack's type–a smoking hot woman who loves horses–but her slurred speech calls up childhood memories of living with an alcoholic father, and Jack isn't about to travel that road again. After several chance encounters, the fireworks between them become a contest to see who touches who first. Can Jack and Cheyenne overcome their mistaken first impressions or will their gallop to the finish line end in murder by horseshoe?


Want more? How about an excerpt:


He studied the muted flush on her cheeks and the slight increase in her breathing. His clasped hands tightened as he fought the urge to pull her against him, to kiss the stiffness out of her. His urge had nothing to do with her desire to help Mr. Tibbles, although that was commendable. It was the mix of pride and vulnerability and fire and guts, and the damn rag on her head. It was her pink, moist lips and the fact that she disliked his wealth and upbringing and… 


“Are you an alcoholic?” 


“What?” Her glance narrowed with disbelief. 


“Do you have a problem with alcohol?” he repeated, unable to let it go, even though sparks darted from her eyes. To hell with the sparks. He’d committed himself, and he wanted an answer. She opened her mouth, her indignation front and center. 


“Just tell me,” he said. 


Her mouth made quirky, little movements like she wanted to spit. He watched her struggle before she jerked to a stand and shouted, “No!” 


He dropped his head and closed his eyes when she stomped off. She was halfway out the door when she flew back to grab her boots. 


“Stop,” he ordered, unsurprised when she didn’t. 


She smacked the door frame with her exit. He followed her out. They weren’t finished, not by a long shot.


What’s your next project or what are you working on now? 


You name it and I’m working on it. I am editing a completed historical romance trilogy set in the American Gilded Age, and have written half of a science fiction romance that features reincarnation. I’ve started another historical romance set in 1815 America which takes place on the Natchez Trace, and I may write a second romantic comedy about the Kentucky horse world because, well, it’s about horses. I’m sure you understand. 


If you would like more information about Halle and her book, here are the buy links and her media contact information.


A Horse of a Different Color Buy Links:

Amazon

Barnes & Noble

Good Reads

Books-A-Million


Social Contacts:

Web site:  HTTPS//:www.HalleKenton.com

Email:  HalleKenton@gmail.com

Thank you, Halle, for being my guest. Any questions or comments for Halle?

2 comments:

  1. I’ve ordered A Horse of a Different Color by Halle Kenton and am looking forward to reading it! The book sounds very good, and from reading the excerpt, I love Halle’s writing style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the middle of reading Halle's book and it is a rom com lover's delight! I highly recommend this to all horse and rom com fanatics alike!

    ReplyDelete

A World Traveler's Debut

The best thing about publishing a weekly authors' blog is getting to meet so many different, talented writers and to learn about them an...