Tuesday, March 1, 2022

A Trip to Texas

Having grown up in an area where a visit to ranch country was only an hour away and in a family that included aunts, uncles and cousins who lived on ranches, a ranch setting has always caught my attention as a reader. My guest today in My Writing Corner took me back to those ranching roots. Romances set on ranches touch me more because my mother often told me and my brothers and sister about how she met our dad on her uncle’s ranch. That’s what today’s guest in My Writing Corner brings us. My guest today is Linda Nightingale, and her new books is The Texas Cowboy, which is the first book of her Return to Folly series.


Linda tells us that after 14 years in Texas, she returned home to her roots in the South Carolina red clay. She has eight published novels, four of which are available in audio from Audible.com. For many years, she bred, trained, and showed the magnificent Andalusian horses. She says she has seen a lot of this country from the windshield of a truck pulling a horse trailer. She won The Georgia Romance Writers’ Magnolia Award for Excellence, the Raven Award, and the SARA Merritt. In real life, she was a legal assistant. She loves to dress up, use the good china and crystal, and host formal dinner parties. She has a fondness for sports cars like her current ride, Zippy Z.


Let's hear more about her newest book, The Texas Cowboy...


When a British raised Texan returns to take over the ranch he inherited. What could possibly go wrong? Maybe a pretty, sassy cowgirl with her own agenda?



When Ash Colter was twelve, his mother divorced his cattle baron father and whisked him away to raise in her native England. Sixteen years later, when his father dies, he inherits Marathon Ranch. Running a 1,000-acre spread famous for the best Black Angus cattle in the great state of Texas is the biggest challenge he’s ever faced…until he meets a pert, pretty, and sassy ranch hand who seems to have her own agenda for his ranch. Unfortunately, she makes his spurs go jingle-jangle-jingle like no one else ever has!


Trish Owens is a real cowgirl, a loner, and, though she’d never admit it, a little lonely. When the “English Cowboy” appears on the scene, her entire way of life is threatened, not only her job, but her beloved Quarter horses. She’s sure he plans to import his thoroughbreds from England. Worst of all is the chemistry sizzling between them. He makes feelings she thought long dead awaken.


Can these two unwilling allies set aside their differences to put Marathon Ranch in the Winner’s Circle…and to fall in love?


Let's check in with Ash and find out more about him.

Tell us about your family.

Hi, Rebecca. My ranch hands call me the English Cowboy. When I was twelve, my mother divorced my cattle baron father and whisked me away to her native England. So, I was raised in the U.K. I’m an only child, and sixteen years later, when my dad died and I inherited Marathon Ranch, I returned to Folly, Texas. I’ve now taken over the running of the thousand-acre spread, famous for the best Black Angus cattle and the fastest Quarter Horses in the Lone Star State.  It’s a big job and daunting sometimes. I’ve found the perfect partner to put Marathon’s horses in the winner’s circle, but she seems to regard me as the enemy.


What are you looking for in your life right now?

To carry the Marathon racing silks to the winner’s circle. I have the horses. I have a partner. It may not be a marriage made in Heaven, but it would definitely be a heavenly partnership, if I could convince her to trust me. Her name is Trish Owens, and she’s indeed a feisty young filly. Her goal is the same as mine. If I can simply gain her trust, I’m sure together we can succeed.

What draws you to Trish?

Her drive, her courage in the face of adversity, and her independence, not to mention her big brown eyes and blonde hair. When it comes to  the horses, she’s like a mother hen. Don’t cross her, I should also say that she is petite and slender…with curves all in the right places. I like her determination. I even like my sassy cowgirl’s touch of temper. We’re alike in our goals but so far apart I don’t know if I’ll ever persuade her that I’m not an invader from England. Dash (oh, that’s cowboy for damn), I nurtured my Texas roots while I was in England—working hard to keep my Texan accent, reading everything cowboy, and sporting western wear. She doesn’t see yet that I’m on her side.

What frightens you about becoming involved with her?

Everything. I confess. I’m a commitment phobe, It has seemed to me that closeness equates to someone leaving, and eventually you’re alone again. Perhaps, this springs from my parents’ divorce; perhaps not. It feels like it has always been there, so I don’t know. Guess I should work through my issues with a shrink, but I’ve always told myself that when the right girl comes along, I’ll know and that will be that. Trish is as close to my dream girl as I’ve found in my twenty-six years. Am I going to let this diamond in the rough slip through my fingers because I’m hesitant about commitment?

Now let's hear from Trish:


What is your first impression of Ash?

That he was an arrogant bastard swaggering onto Marathon Ranch, owner of all he surveyed, and I just knew he planned to ditch the Quarter Horse breeding program his dad had started and bring his Thoroughbreds from Jolly Old England. As far as I was concerned, he was public enemy number one. But he with his deep chestnut hair, he was the handsomest enemy I’d ever encountered. Then he smiled, and I knew I had trouble on my hands.


What about him appeals to you?

His chestnut hair and his eyes. I always wanted a redheaded man, and his eyes are a bluish green—a rare color. And there he was smiling at me like he knew all my secrets. He was so handsome standing there in the Texas sun, I almost lost the battle before it began. What appeals to me? His long, lean physique definitely adds to the sexy mix. He has a quick wit and won’t let me get by with any smartass remarks. He’s…perfect…and that’s what scares the living hell out of me.

What frightens/worries you about him?

I worry that he will sell my beloved Quarter Horses. At first, I worried that he’d terminate the old hands and replace the entire staff, lock, stock, and barrel. I worry that I am so attracted to him, but he’s my boss, and that’s a big NO. He is a bit arrogant, and that concerns me, but at the same time, I find it irresistible. It’s part of his charm.

What do you want for your future?

That’s a deep secret buried under lock and key. I suppose I could dream of being Mrs. Ash Colter like I dream of one day owning a horse like Jet. He’s my favorite of all the racing Quarters. I could also dream of going to the moon, but that’s about as farfetched. I won’t be going until the fare is less than a dollar.  So, for my dreams right now. I’m content working with Charlie and the cowpokes at Marathon. Ash is a dash of excitement; sadly nothing more.

Thank you, Ash and Trish.. Want more? Let's get an excerpt:


Squinting in the sudden sunlight, Ash sized up a woman about his age. In jeans with a burgundy Marathon tee, she was slender but curvy.  Her blonde hair looked as if it had been hurriedly ponytailed. Wayward strands dangling everywhere framed her face. On closer examination, he decided she wasn’t hard on the eyes. In a non-fancy way. But then he was accustomed to Dorothy—High maintenance with a capital High Maintenance.

The girl tilted an odd look at him.  Then she suffered a wardrobe malfunction. The band holding her ponytail broke. Blonde silk gushed over her big, chocolate brown eyes. A graceful hand, stained black by hoof polish, swiped the thick mess back from a pretty face. Her unsmiling mouth was generous and wide. Feed her and clean her up, and she’d be a presentable…opponent. The chill in what should have been melting brown eyes was as unwelcoming as Deanne’s steely green gaze.


He snapped a smart salute, imitating her stance. “I’ll do that, ma’am. I’m Ash Colter. You are?”


“Trish.”  One word. No introduction. More or less bugger off.


He stuck out his hand. “My pleasure, Trish. I assume you work with the horses.”


“Right assumption.” Gazing intently into his eyes, she accepted his handshake. “How could you tell?” she asked, her voice dripping sarcasm.


“The hoof polish was a big clue.”


She glanced down at her stained hand. Her handshake was firm, confident, another person he felt he could trust. The color of her eyes was quite rare with her blonde hair. Very striking, but at the moment, they challenged him to measure up to her standards. Oh but no, he refused to have two bitches to contend with. This one was no problem. Employees could be towed into line. Or dismissed.


“Maybe I’ll see you around the stables.” He popped the trunk, dismissing her as curtly as was polite but smiling inside. What a feisty filly.


“The funeral is day after tomorrow,” Trish said, loud enough to carry. Her native Texan accent was music to his ears, but he could scarcely believe what she’d said. “Mrs. Colter waited to give you time to get here.”


He froze with his hand on the hot trunk. Without turning, in a voice like ice, he spat, “Thank you for telling me, Deanne.”


“You didn’t know?” The amazed question burst from the gutsy Trish.


As a sharp pang of grief broke through his carefully erected walls, he visibly winced.  He’d lost his father, and his stepmother had planned the funeral without consulting him. What else had she planned to cut him out of? Knowing her for what she was, still her cruelty shocked him. What if he’d been delayed? He’d have missed his final farewell to his father. Sick at heart, he swiped a hand across his burning eyes. He couldn’t trust himself to speak around the sudden lump in his throat. Gritting his teeth, he slammed the trunk. Shouldering his duffle, he faced a sea of surprised expressions. He could scarcely see them for the sheen of emotion clouding his vision.


Angry now, he tried but failed to modulate his voice. Dark emotion crept into his gruff tone. “No one saw fit to tell me.” 


“Oh?” Trish’s eyebrows darted up, her wide eyes shifting to Deanne. “You’re kidding.” In unconcealed shock, and perhaps reproach, she gaped at her employer.


Want more? You'll have to buy the book! Here is the Buy Link:


https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QP4C5NZ


And if you want to know more about Linda, here are her social media links:


Twitter:  https://twitter.com/LNightingale

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/LindaNightingaleAuthor

Web Site:  http://www.lindanightingale.com – Visit and look around. There’s a free continuing vampire story.

Blog:  https://lindanightingale.wordpress.com/ - Lots of interesting guests & prizes

Goodreads:  https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4839311.Linda_Nightingale

Pinterest:  https://www.pinterest.com/lbnightingale1/

Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/Linda-Nightingale/e/B005OSOJ0U

Book Bub:  https://www.bookbub.com/profile/linda-nightingale

Instagram:  https://www.instagram.com/linda.nightingale.52/

Thank you, Linda, for being my guest. Any comments or questions for Linda?






1 comment:

Fun with Characters

One of the first questions many people ask when they learn someone is a writer is "How did you become an author?" or "Did you...