Tuesday, March 8, 2022

An Intriguing Arrangement

For writers, every day can bring a new story idea. We're always searching for that next great story to tell. That's why I especially enjoy communicating with other writers and bringing their stories to the attention of readers.  My guest this week in My Writing Corner, is  author Colleen Donnelly. She has been my guest in the past, and she joins us today to tell us about another of her wonderful books.

Colleen comes from  the Midwest but her work in the world of science allowed her to explore the country.  As an avid reader and writer she says she loves stories that revolve around a moral dilemma. Today we are featuring her book, The Lady's Arrangement.

 

In this historical romance, feisty redhead Regina Howard skirts the Kansas law that forbids widows to maintain rights to their deceased husband’s property by advertising for a husband willing to share his last name and nothing more. Fast. What she doesn’t want is a banker with ideas of his own regarding her property, a ranch manager a little too involved in her affairs, a kindhearted local doctor offering more than just a last name, and an impossible to control and hard to resist Rex Duncan—alias Ben Miller—who answered her ad in ways she didn’t expect.  


Let's get a blurb:


Neither Rex nor Regina wants a spouse, but they do have needs.

Ranger Rex Duncan needs a false identity—just long enough to uncover a ring of Kansas ranch thieves. Answering Regina’s ad for a temporary husband, he leaves his beloved red dirt of Oklahoma to assume that disguise. But the most obstinate woman he’s ever known confounds his assignment, and with hair the red color that has always made his heart beat a little faster.

Regina Howard needs a new Mrs. in front of her name—just long enough to reclaim her deceased husband’s ranch, since Kansas law won’t allow women to own property. When Rex answers her ad for a husband who can take orders as part of a brief business arrangement, she finds this stubborn man ignores her every command. Yet a good man is far more than just a name…


Sounds intriguing, doesn't it? How about an excerpt. Let's dig deeper into these characters: 


Ben was tall, and he felt even taller as he took a step closer and leaned my way. “It takes two to bind a contract, and since I’ve just withdrawn, your arrangement is null and void. And just so you know, you can thank your lucky stars I’m not staying to marry you, because I take surprises a lot better than I take orders.” His eyes stayed on mine until his gaze traveled from my face down to my boots. “And wearing trousers doesn’t make you any more suited to giving orders than wearing a skirt would make me fit for giving birth.”

 

My nails dug into my palms as I rolled my hands into fists. A word I’d heard Ted say when a pail slid off his bad arm came to mind. The word was immoral, but probably not too immoral for Ben Miller. “Just so you know, Mr. Miller, I’ve been running this ranch for three weeks now, in pants. I find skirts get in the way of things you’d probably be surprised I can do.”

 

The half-smile returned. “I won’t argue that. Skirts surely do get in the way.” Ben straightened and slapped his hat tighter on his head. “Been my experience, too.

Fortunately, neither one of us has to put up with one, since you can keep right on doing things the way you have been. I’m giving you an early parting. I’m leaving.”


                                                                          ****


Want more? You'll have to buy the book! And it sounds as though it would be a fun read through the end of these long winter nights or snowy days. 


If you want more information about Colleen, here are her contact links as well as the buy links for her book(s):

 

Social Media Links:

 

Website: http://www.colleenldonnelly.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ColleenLDonnelly

Goodreads: http://www.Goodreads.com/colleenldonnelly

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Colleen-L-Donnelly/e/B00ELP1GIA/

 

Buy links:

 

Amazon: http://amzn.to/2qj7DE2

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35178271-the-lady-s-arrangement?from_search=true&qid=74i6X4Ru1S&rank=1

BookBub: https://www.bookbub.com/books/the-lady-s-arrangement-by-colleen-l-donnelly


Thank you, Colleen for being my guest today and bringing us another wonderful story!

Any comments or questions for Colleen?

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, Rebecca, for allowing me to bring back a heroine worthy of a laugh and a tear!

    ReplyDelete

Fighting the Mid-Story Blahs

It happens to all fictional writers. Sooner or later we hit the wall with our current story and we suffer through that old, well-known, fear...