Tuesday, August 23, 2022

The Right Combination

Summer is moving toward its end so we don't have much time to get in those last minute vacations where we get to sit by the pool with a new book or just sit outside in the evening enjoying our favorite authors. But it also means the beginning of the seasons where we spend more time indoors and that means finding new authors to read--authors like today's guest in My Writing Corner.


Kim Ligon has been writing stories for most of her life—some on paper and some only in her head. She had lots of source material, growing up as the oldest child in a large family in a small town in Wisconsin. Her father was a veterinarian so there were not only lots of children around, but all manner of house pets and farm animals too. Her love of reading comes from her mother who was seldom seen sitting down without a book in her hand. After a demanding career in healthcare information technology, she is now getting to do all the creative things she loves which includes writing her stories to share with you. She lives with her chief encourager and personal romantic hero, her husband of almost forever, in Alabama. Welcome, Kim!

Tell us about your road to publication?


I have been writing stories a long time. Polly’s List has been in the works about three years under two different titles. I sent it in last July to The Wild Rose Press and things proceeded very quickly from there. I had a contract in October and the book release was August 17, 2022. I was blessed with a marvelous editor, Dianne Rich, who was super patient and helpful to me as a first time published author. I so appreciated that she made the dates she promised and took the time to really explain things to me. I’m looking forward to getting to  use what I learned this time on more publications with The Wild Rose Press. I love how supportive the whole organization is. Especially how helpful the authors are with each other, like you hosting me today. It’s a very positive, family type atmosphere and has really made the process very enjoyable. 


What do you enjoy about being a writer?


I love the whole creative process especially when my characters surprise me. I think if they can make me laugh or cry while I’m recording their stories, they will have the same effect on my readers. I like being my own boss—at least about how I spend my time. I’m stingy with my time and like it to be spent productively, either with stories or some other creative endeavor. I am a voracious reader and I find that everything I read helps me be a better writer by assessing how other authors twist a plot or describe a scene. As an author you’re always learning. I like to keep exercising my little gray cells. The rest of me may not be in great shape, but I think they’re pretty fit. 

What do you find is the most challenging part of being an author?

Finding the balance between living the life you love and writing about happily-ever-afters to share with others. Writing doesn’t have set hours and when you’re on a roll sometimes it is hard to stop and do normal life stuff. I don’t want to lose my identity as a wife, sister, aunt, and friend in favor of my one as an author. That would be disastrous. I also struggle with the deluge of social media stuff that is recommended for promotional activities and have intentionally limited my efforts to my personal blog and a few guest appearances on some other Wild Rose Press authors’ blogs. 

Tell us about your latest book, Polly's List. How did you come up with the idea to write it?

I love plots where a case of mistaken identity or misconstrued information is involved. Since I have a gender neutral first name and have received my share of Mr. Kim Ligon mail, I wanted to have some name related confusion. A dear friend is named Mikal and she happily said I could use it for my heroine’s name. Polly’s List was born from that start. There are several phone conversations where misidentification continues. There had to be a dog because I couldn’t leave Polly alone in that big house. I was a little like the hero in that I was eager to leave the small town I grew up in right after high school graduation. I treasure my small town upbringing now, but I wasn’t that smart at seventeen. The rest of the story evolved. Some of it from recommendations from early readers, some from my characters appearing in my dreams to straighten out the plot. 

Let's get a blurb:

CJ Reynolds couldn’t wait to escape his hometown. He’s loving his bachelor life as a software developer in California. So much so that he hasn’t been back in years to see the grandmother who raised him. 

Mikal Benson believes her small town is perfect for raising her son, Will, alone. When Mikal finds her neighbor, Polly Rogers, sprawled on the floor in a pool of blood, barely clinging to life, she calls Polly’s grandson—CJ Reynolds—and insists he must come home. Now!

From her coma, Polly whispers three words that change everything. Did she fall or was she pushed? CJ, Mikal, and Will form an unlikely team coming together to discover the truth as danger engulfs them and love transforms them into a family. 


Want more? Let's get an excerpt!


Why is the Bassett baying? Mikal Benson hurried across the yard and pushed her neighbor’s unlocked back door open. It groaned loudly. The still howling dog rumbled into the kitchen – as quickly as his short legs would allow. 

“What’s wrong Rhett? Polly, where are you?” she called as she crossed the worn linoleum-covered kitchen floor. “It’s me, Mikal.”  

The dog loped into the front entryway. She followed. What happened? Was the purple-flowered heap with legs and arms akimbo Polly? Blood pooled beneath her head . The body was lying in front of the door. Was she still alive? Mikal knelt beside her neighbor’s crumpled body. She gently picked up her arm and felt for a pulse. It was faint. Polly took a ragged breath and moaned. Mikal pulled her cell phone out and called 911. 

A blood stain circled Polly’s head like a dark, expanding halo – blotting out the muted colors of the antique rug and spreading into the cracks in the parquet floor. Something had to be done. 


What is your next project?


I have another book set in Lansdale, Wisconsin. The main character, Dr. Chase Merrick, had a minor role in Polly’s List. He gets a love interest. While the setting is the same and you may recognize some of the places and characters, it isn’t a series. Each story stands alone. It is basically complete so I hope it will be able to join the world of the published novels next year.

What advice do you have for beginning writers?

Write often. Write from the heart. If you force it or try to copy someone else’s style, it will show. You won’t believe it and neither will your readers. I believe everyone has a story to tell. If you’re stuck on a plot point or an ending, put it aside, and do something else creative. When you’re not intensely laboring over the problem, an answer will make itself known. Never be afraid to start over. As many times as you need to. Share your work with someone you trust who loves you enough to tell you if it sucks. Listen to them. Don’t change everything based on their say so, but look for the grain of truth in what they’ve told you. If you love writing, do it. If it becomes a chore, do something else.   


To learn more about Kim here are her buy links and social contact information.


Buy Links:


GOODREADS https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/61135497-polly-s-list

BOOK BUB     https://www.bookbub.com/books/Polly-s-list-by-Kim-Janine-Ligon

AMAZON        https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09ZYVGWF1

BARNES & NOBLE 

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/pollys-list-kim-janine-ligon/1141488044


Social Contacts:


FOLLOW ME AT:   https://www.spinningromance.com

CONTACT ME AT: KimJanine@spinningromance.com

Thank you, Kim, for being my guest today. Any comments or questions or Kim?

5 comments:

  1. Rebecca, thank you for sharing your writing corner with me. I've enjoyed the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed getting to know you more, Kim. Wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. Appreciate you taking the time to stop by.

      Delete
  3. Sounds fascinating, Kim! It's on my TBR list and I'm looking forward to it. all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. With so much talent at TWRP my to read listisnever empty!

    ReplyDelete

A World Traveler's Debut

The best thing about publishing a weekly authors' blog is getting to meet so many different, talented writers and to learn about them an...