Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Running to Romance

We're nearing the end of summer and as the kids go back to school, there's a little more time to get in more reading before the hectic holiday season gets underway. Today's guest in My Writing Corner brings us book two in her series, Impact,  that sounds like a real winner. 

My guest is D. V. Stone, who is an award-winning,

multi-genre, traditionally and independently published author. As an author, she says she strives to write books that people want to read. Whether romance or fantasy, her stories are about the importance of friends and family. They're also about overcoming obstacles while doing it with humor.

She writes a weekly blog, Around the Fire, where she introduces both established and new authors giving an insider’s look into their lives and books as well as tidbits about her own life.


After retiring, she is now a full-time author who says she incorporates her life experiences into her books. 


A former Emergency Medical Technician, she volunteered in both New Jersey and Pennsylvania. At the same time, she worked as a professional EMT in a women’s state prison. She was the proprietor of a coffee shop, and a small restaurant/ice cream stand. In following years, she worked as a manager in an animal emergency hospital. Her last position was in a human medical office.


When not behind the wheel of 2Hoots—a 41 foot long 13.2 feet high 5th Wheel camper, she says she rambles around town in Northern New Jersey in a white Camaro. She also loves travel and history.

She says she is the wife to an amazing husband, mother to one son, and a not-your-average grandma to three beautiful grandchildren. A woman of faith, she says she believes and trusts in God. “My greatest pleasures are spending time outside with friends and family, cooking over the open fire, sipping a glass of wine, and reading.”


Hali, her rescue dog, always reminds her to let readers know, “Woof, woof.” Which is loosely translated as support your local animal rescue.


Her latest book is Jazz House, Book 2 in the Impact Series.  Let's get a blurb.


Jordan Vasilakis is on the run, living under an assumed name. After a disastrous marriage to a notorious Greek business tycoon, she flees to the States and starts rebuilding her life. But her ruthless husband is determined to destroy her…once he finds her.


Michael Machau is drawn to the new singer at Jazz House restaurant, but the guarded woman is harboring dangerous secrets. The dedicated police officer may have to risk more than just his heart to forge a connection with the woman he knows as Madeline Cielo, especially when he discovers she’s living a lie.


Worlds collide. Lies entangle. Survival, much less love, is in question. They must quickly distinguish friends from enemies or risk losing everything—including a future together.


Sounds very interesting.  Let's talk to the characters: 




Questions for Jordan


Why did you leave your husband?


Jordon sighed. “I was young and in love when I met this older man who promised me the world. Shortly after we married, Kyrios began to isolate me from my friends and family. At first, I thought he wanted me all to himself. Love can be like that.” She gives me a humorless laugh. “ But then he began to criticize me, put me down even in front of others. I thought it was all my fault. I wasn’t smart, pretty, or talented enough for such a worldly man. Then one day, he came home, and I tried to talk with him.” She closes her eyes. Fists are clenched. When she opened them again, there was a haunted look. “He hurt me. Badly.” 


What do you want your life to be like now?


Jordon shakes her head as if to fling off the memories. “I’ve been quite lonely these past years. Yes, you can be lonely surrounded by people.” She studies her fingernails. “I love to sing. I want to be able to do that with friends and family.” Jordon peers up at me. “Without fear.”


What worries you about Michael?


“Michael has the kindest heart. Everyone loves him.” Jordon glances out the window. “I worry if he finds out I’m living a lie…” The woman across from me gets up and walks to the window. She wraps her arms around and rubs her upper arms like she’s cold. “Kyrios is a bad man.” She turns to face me. “If anything happened to him because of me? I can’t even think of it.”


What is your hope for your future?


Jordan scrubs her hands over her face before folding them in front of her like a prayer. “Peace in my life. Being able to walk out my door without scanning the street.” She comes back over to perch on the edge of the chair. “You know, once I wanted to be a star. See my name in lights. Dreams change. Jazz House is my new dream. It gives me the place to do what I love, surrounded by people I’ve come to care about. Now, if only I knew we could all be safe. I’d love to spend the rest of my life in Slate Quarry, Pennsylvania.”



Questions for Michael


What are you looking for in a woman?


You know, some guys hate the thought of being tied down.” Michael sprawled in the chair. “Me? I’m a down-to-earth one-woman man.” He blushes. “I know, I sound like a romance novel.” He laughs it off. “But really, I look for someone with a heart for others. Someone happy sitting on my cabin’s porch with me and my dogs.” Michael leans forward, resting his forearms on his knees. “Someone who will laugh with me.”


What draws you to this new jazz singer?


A huge smile spreads across his face, and oh my goodness, he has a dimple. “The moment I heard her, something in my chest dragged me toward her. Then I saw her. She’s beautiful, and her heart shines through those big brown eyes.” 


What worries you about her?


“You know I’m a cop. I read people. Madeline Cielo has secrets. Dark ones. I see the sorrow in her eyes.” He rises and begins pacing. “I want to help her. But I’m afraid if I push, she’ll run.”


What do you want your future to be?


“I was an only child of a single mom. I have no other family.” Michael pauses and rests his hands on the back of the chair. “The porch I talked about earlier? There are already two chairs, two dogs, and two horses. But there’s only me. I want a partner in life. To come home at night and know someone is there who loves me.”


Aren't they interesting people?  How about an excerpt?

    Jordan scrambled to the other side of the limo. 

    “You sing good tonight.” He scrolled through his phone. 

    “Yes, Kyrios.” 

    Outside the window, massive cruise ships docked in the port. Happy older people made their way up the gangplanks toting bags filled with souvenirs, while the younger ones debarked dressed for the nightlife. Sparkly sequins flashed like diamonds as one young woman twirled on the pier. 

    God, how had she come to this life? She willed her hovering tears not to fall. Kyrios wouldn’t approve. 

    When she was offered a place in the touring group ten years ago, she thought it was the beginning of great things. Standing in the cabaret with the lights shining down was her dream come true. When she was the woman in the sparkly dress. 

    Until he showed up. 

    Each night, Kyrios Vasilakis, Greek business tycoon, sat at the front table watching her. Yes, he was older but so very handsome. Dark hair with silver at the temples, he cut a dashing figure in his black suits. 

    Jordan began to sing to him. It was the beginning of the end. After a whirlwind romance, she found herself a prisoner in marriage to a brute.


                                                        *****


To buy D. V.'s book and learn more about her, here are her buy links and her social contacts.


Buy Links


https://www.amazon.com/Jazz-House-Impact-Book-2-ebook/dp/B0B1Z2KKN8

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/jazz-house-d-v-stone/1141502643

https://books.apple.com/us/book/jazz-house/id6442847677

Universal Link:

https://books2read.com/u/mZQq0e

Video:

https://youtu.be/VKyvNBD56e8


Contact Info


For one-stop connections Link Tree 

Website  

Newsletter 

Amazon Author Page  

Facebook  

Twitter

Instagram 

Pinterest 

Bookbub

Goodreads 

Around the Fire Blog with D.V. Stone


Un-embedded links:

https://www.dvstoneauthor.com/

https://t.co/MUVW91E2iB?amp=1

https://www.instagram.com/d.v.stone/

https://twitter.com/donnavstone

https://www.facebook.com/dv.stone.1

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/16344100.D_V_Stone

https://www.bookbub.com/authors/d-v-stone

https://www.amazon.com/D.-V.-Stone/e/B01N154Y9U

https://www.tiktok.com/@dvstoneauthor

https://mailchi.mp/3b289d8d7569/d-v-stones-peek-further-and-campfire-crew

https://www.librarything.com/ner/u/DVStone

Thank you, D. V. for being my guest today. Any comments or questions for D. V.?

8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for having me here today. I adore Madeline and Michael and hope you and your readers do too. D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These two are soooo meant for one another. Happy release day eve! Happy sales to you! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I think they are perfect together too. D

      Delete
  3. I received an ARC copy of Jazz House, a page turner with mystery, secrets, and the romance I love in my books. Jordan and Michael make a great couple!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jordan sounds like my kinda girl!
    Good luck and God's blessings with your new release DV!
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Pam. They do make a great couple. Both have hearts of gold.

      Delete
  5. Michael's answers qualify him for my hero's list!! All the best with Jazz House. I have it downloaded, but I haven't gotten to read it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is a hero! My DH is very similar. Thanks for stopping by, Barbara.🌹

    ReplyDelete

Fighting the Mid-Story Blahs

It happens to all fictional writers. Sooner or later we hit the wall with our current story and we suffer through that old, well-known, fear...